Calibrating hydrometer with a refractometer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So I discovered today that my hydrometer is phenomenally wrong. Mine reads 1.027/8 while a LFS's refractometer reads 1.032.... thats quite a big difference. :der:

I was told that I could calibrate the hydrometer with a refractometer, how abouts would I do that? Would I basically make my own markings as to where the swing arm is to the actual salinity at that point?

Thanks,

Yeah, I dont believe you can adjust those. You can test the water with the refractometer. When you get the salinity that you want with it, fill the hydrometer and mark it. You may want to use a piece of tape and do it a number of times to make sure it reads the same each time.

Do you have access to a refractometer?

I dont have a refractometer, but I do know the points 1.027 and how it equals 1.032, unfortunately without another point, I cannot create a gradient for the salinity.

If you have the time and want to bring the hydrometer into my office, I can bring in my refractometer and some mixed saltwater and fresh water and we can calibrate it to a number of differnent salinity levels.

Absolutely
Not a problem. Give me a call. I have moved my office up one floor. North parking lot, suite 115 in the courtyard to the right of the display store. I'll pm my number

i got two refractometers ,i can calibrated it for you,,i always had two just to make sure all of my reading is trure.
i will be home tomorrow(Tuesday) after 3pm stop by ,,,.

Yeah, if you need a refractometer you can borrow mine. I've got one that reads .03 low but is consistent that you can have if you want it.

Mike

This is a must at Club Meetings or a get together with other friends in hobby. Refractometers are constantly getting bumped out of calibration. I have calibration chemical and I am always recalibrating refractometers. Test it and again retest. Kudos to Dang!

@Cwazy Clown: Actually both are temp sensitive! Many of the better refractometers are ATC or automatic temperature correcting, but not all of them. If you read the directions they are typically to be calibrated at 76F.

This is a must at Club Meetings or a get together with other friends in hobby. Refractometers are constantly getting bumped out of calibration. I have calibration chemical and I am always recalibrating refractometers. Test it and again retest.

Brilliant idea Ed, I am going to add it to the Northend Reefers standard meeting, to always be prepared to calibrate anyones refractometers

I have this ol Tropic Marian glass hydrometer, I use to check them against, hard to beat.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f72/refractometers-salinity-measurement-20893/

I do the game. Glass hydrometers are a pain, buy awesome for calibrating your refractometer

@Cwazy Clown: Actually both are temp sensitive! Many of the better refractometers are ATC or automatic temperature correcting, but not all of them. If you read the directions they are typically to be calibrated at 76F.
Yeppers. And they need to be periodically tweaked.

Back