Calling all Hippo doctors

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

twilliard

What next?
Hi Doc

My hippo has a problem
There is this spot on the top of him that just popped up today.

Here is the kicker, this spot was on the bottom of him yesterday and was GONE by night.
Now its on his back! Like it is moving around.
Here is a few pics of the hippo, the spot is on the top. Like a clear see though circle with a small dark dot in the center. This same spot was on the bottom of him yesterday.
hippo002.jpg

hippo001.jpg

Sorry if it is a little blurry, I cant get a good in tank moving picture.

Pictures aren't that bad. The area you have concern about is not close enough to see clearly. Such areas have been attributed to water quality issues but that would be combined with either a poor diet and/or a young (not yet matured) aquarium.

Is that red algae I see in the background? How old is the aquarium? Are there any problems with nuisance microbial and/or algae growths? Any behavior changes in the fish? How long have you had this fish? What do you feed, how much, and how often to this particular fish?

The conservative approach would be to perform a large (50%+) water change as soon as you have the water ready, followed the day after by another large water change (each change being sure to follow standard controls: How to Make a Successful Water Change.

Keep monitoring the fish. Do some of those old water quality tests you probably don't do since the tank cycled (like ammonia and nitrite) along with phosphate, nitrate, alk, calcium, magnesium, and chemical parameters (pH range/current pH, temperature range/current temp, and salinity). Post the results here if you don't see any problems. Try taking a closer photo, and keep us informed.

Yes there is a little red algae going on. I have been fighting bryopsis for some time now.
I change 25G a week on my tank. (110G)
I have had this hippo for quite some time now. maybe 2 years now.
I feed it formula two flake and green seaweed.
I check all #'s weekly
The only change is I have been adding Mag to get that # up a little. Right now its about 1100.
Also I just has a 8" lion die on me so I may have stressed the tank a little trying to get that fish out.
I dont have a better lens for a closeup or I would get a better pic for you.

Thanks for your help
Todd

Todd,

Nu triton for that fish needs improvement. That tank is putting a bit of space stress on that fish which, as the fish grows, will increase. For now I'd say it was a nutritional and water quality matter.

I can see where the combo of the recent stresses low nutritional requirements being met, and water quality can lead to what you're seeing.
Two things to address. . .
Nutrition:
Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition.

Water quality: What is Water Quality.

Although test kit numbers may be okay, there is more to water quality then they will show, such as the presence of nuisance marine life. Is there a chance the marine system is overstocked? Fish Stocking Limit – for FO and FOWLR

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info.
This is the first time I have been in the fish threads and man.. a lot to read here.

Again thank you
I am reading away!

Oh and Lee just to let you know..

that spot is compleatly GONE now.

weird

perfect circle of no color and now its fine.???

Here's an interesting question for ya, do you have a blenny in there also?

To me that looks exactly like a blenny bite. A friend of mine's 240 has a Foxface and Lawnmower Blenny, and every once in a while the Blenny will give it a hickey on its side, and it looks a lot like that spot.

That is how subtle some water quality issues can affect fishes.

Good luck! :)

Todd, my hippo gets these "spots" from time to time. I think they are due to him wedging himself in the rock, or perhaps a bacterial infection. They always clear up within a few hours. This has been going on for over a year and I don't worry about it any more.

Old thread on the issue: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17470

Another interesting note... I have a lawnmower blenny, as Mr Snowboard above mentioned. I've never seen him sucking on my hippo but a lot could go on in my tank when I'm not looking.

Last edited:
Thats it Brian, just like that. Gone after a few hours.

I have been reading quite a bit of info from this topic. Lee has it set up quite nice.

Back