Camera choice?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks everyone for the help....... it's down between the canon and the nikon. i'm going to find a good camera store and go in and play with them.

Matt,
I have been 'into' photography for more than 30 years (since JH). I have had minolta, nikon, and canon systems. I have settled on canon (personal choice). All are good and and your photography will probably not 'see' the difference. Once you start 'investing' in lenses it kind of ties you down to that brand so my advice is to look at what you might want in the future. Lenses tend to last forever... the bodies (now digital) keep improving so you might go through a couple or more in your lifetime. The real key is not so much the equipment but technique. It is about 'light'.

Good luck with your decision.
I currently shoot a Canon 20D with several different zooms. My next lens will definitely be a macro for tank shooting.

Mark

One more chime in here... The Canon and Nikon will run neck-and-neck. They're equally performing cameras. Run down to the local camera shop, feel both in your hands. Close your eyes and run your hands over the buttons. Are they logically placed, and do they feel right in your hands?

I also shoot a Canon 20D, and absolutely LOVE it. The Rebel XT is too small for my hands, but I "grew up" on Canon's film SLRs, before small and digital were cool. My Canon's been hiking, to the ocean, in the snow, across a river, in a helicopter, everywhere!

My personal preference is to save money and not get the kit lens. They simply aren't as good as other versatile lenses, but then you're talking more money. The Canon 17-85mm IS or 28-135mm IS are extremely versatile lenses, but you're going to pay for them. I also recognize that I represent the higher-expectations crowd, and I'm starting to shop for Canon's world famous "L" lenses. I don't say that to be elitist, but so you have a basis as to why I prefer to shy away from the kit lenses. The only kit lens I've ever owned also broke, so go figure.

With either Canon or Nikon, you can't go wrong. They are the dual-industry-leaders for a reason.

And I highly recommend bhphotovideo.com, as well. They've been nothing less than perfect for me.

So I decided on the Nikon D80 with the 18-135mm DX Zoom lens. It looks like a good multipurpose lens.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have an old old olympus 3040.....only 3.3 megapixels but takes great shots!

Will the lenses from my old Canon EOS 10S work on a Canon digital SLR? or are they different lenses? I've been thinking about upgrading to a digital SLR but I would love to keep all my old lenses, esp. my macro ones.

Will the lenses from my old Canon EOS 10S work on a Canon digital SLR? or are they different lenses? I've been thinking about upgrading to a digital SLR but I would love to keep all my old lenses, esp. my macro ones.

They should work fine, the digitals still use the Canon EF (EOS) lens mount and electronics.

-Dylan

All EF lenses will work. Keep in mind that there is a 'crop' factor depending on which digital body you get. For instance, the 20D and a crop factor of 1.6X so if you have a 50mm lens it will perform like an 80mm. The nice thing is you get extra reach but if you have a wide angle lens the crop factor sort of defeats their effectiveness. This is why there are some new EF-S lenses designed specifically for these digitals (warning - the EF-S) will not work on your old body or other full field canon bodies.

Back