Camera question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rx1ton

I recently picked up a canon 30d and was wondering what lens seems to be the best for tank pics. Also does anyone use any particular filters?? Most of this is new to me I've done a little playing with it but could use some input. Thanks, Aaron

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Shouldn't need any filters at all. If you're looking at full tank shots, the kit lens may work out okay, but won't be the best.

There are 2 lenses I'd suggest you get, one is inexpensive and a spectacular lens.
Canon 50mm 1.8 Prime. "Prime" means this is not a variable zoom lens. It's stuck at 50mm. It's an amazing lens and can be purchased, new, for around $100.00. It's nicknamed the "Nifty Fifty."

Okay, now on to the expensive lens, but a great lens for those beautiful Macro shots you wanna take.
Canon 100mm 1.8 Macro

This lens is an amazing piece of glass. It'll take wonderful Macro shots, but is also great for portraiture photography. It'll also take incredible full tank shots, as long as you can get far enough from your tank.

For an all around lens, I'd recommend Canon 18-200mm. This lens isn't as "fast," but will work out really well for a wide variety of photography needs, including tank shots, as long as you get enough light.

We also have a Photography Forum, here on Reef Frontiers. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f6/

Thanks for the info. I'm almost totally lost when it comes to this. The one I picked up came with a 35-135 ultrasonic if memory serves. I've been playing around with it and different settings but it is a bit complicated. Trying to learn what to do by reading it rather than sitting down with someone takes a little more patience for me.

sid, you like the 18-200 huh, where have you seen that???

I will get back here when I have more time, I am at work still.

Yeah, it's not a bad "carry around" lens. I got it, when I got the Canon 7D. It's the 18-200mm IS. I've even used it for a lot of tank shots.

Thanks for the info. I'm almost totally lost when it comes to this. The one I picked up came with a 35-135 ultrasonic if memory serves. I've been playing around with it and different settings but it is a bit complicated. Trying to learn what to do by reading it rather than sitting down with someone takes a little more patience for me.

You can also play around with some of my lenses.

Your 35-135 will be a fairly decent overall lens. It'd be nice if it were a bit wider and had more zoom capabilities. However, it should take pretty good tank shots. Learning, by reading the manual, will be a bit useless...lol. DSLR have a huge learning curve, when you've not used one before. Learn all about the following, what they mean, how each effects specific photographs, and how to set each, with your camera.

Aperture
Shutter Speed
Depth of Field
ISO

If you're going to be at your club's meeting, in January, make sure you bring along your camera. We're hoping to make it over, as well. We can spend some time taking pictures, and I can give you some mini lessons. My camera will definitely be with me, as I never leave home without it...lol.

+1 to Sid (as usual). I have the 50D and I agree that the 50 prime, and the 100mm macro would be my first choices. The macro first if you are mostly interested in taking tank shots.
We have a photo place in Seattle (Glazers) that rents glass, you might see if any of the shops out your way will do the same for you.
Brie uses the Tamron 90 macro, and likes it very well, it is a bit less expensive than the Canon 100 and she has taken some great shots with it.
As to filters, not so much for tank shots, but I think it is really cheap insurance to keep a filter on your lens to protect the glass. I typically have a polarizing filter in place.

-Todd

The easiest way to learn is to take picture and lots of them, it doesnt matter the subject matter. Set the camera to manual and chase the dot for awhile while playing with other setting. You will get the hang of it and learn pretty quick. You have the advantage of digital, it doesnt cost anything to take lousy pics like it did when I learned with the old rangefinder. If I could only have two affordable lenses for a Canon it would be the 17-40f4L and the 70-200f4L. Lighting is the real key learn to use light.

Don

Don

F4 don? I would shoot for the 2.8 or even 1.8 glass. They get a bit pricey when you stoop into those low light lenses, but I wouldn't trade my 2.8 stabilized lense for five 4.0 lenses.

I said affordable. Fast glass is expensive and for the most part not needed if you learn to use light. There is no substitute for light. Light is what photography is all about. I have plenty of fast glass but unless you have a sugar moma or self sustaining hobby like I do Its usually well beyond the reach of most. Good glass @ f4 and good lighting will produce better results than even the fastest of lenses in poor light.

Don

Back