Can Anybody ID these pests Please ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

stormyzeke99

Hi folks wondering if anybody can help me out. First can you ID these little critters and Secondly how to rid them from my tank.

There the little ones sprouting out below my Green Zoanthids.

Thanks in advance

Sooch

majano anemone kill them QUICK!!
they will spread like wild fire and sting the crap out our stuff..
Kalk past joes juice works good.

Folks I really appreciate the advise. I'm pretty new to this so bear with me:)

1. Are you talking about the Calcium supplement Kalkweiser?
I have Kalkweiser... how do I make the paste? or just make it so that it's a pasty consistency? and afterwards just rub it on the the Majano Anemone?

2. Where do I get joes' juice? and how do I apply it as to not harm the other corals?

3. Also boiling is probably out of the question since I've got a myriad of other coral's I'd like to keep alive during this process. I like the butter knife advise... I tried it but those rascals just shrink up into a hole and piss me off in the process. :)

Again Much appreciate you folks time and efforts, and I apologize for maybe some sophmoric questions but I do appreciate you all's time. BTW GREAT game tonite!!

Sooch

yes just mix kalk as a thick paste and smear it on (be carefull not to drop any chunks on anything as it will kill it for sure.)
Boiling water in a syringe and squirt right on the buggers..

I've been reading on how to get rid of pest anemones. I decided to first try the injection with lemon juice. Seems safe and natural. My total system volume is about 125 gallons, so a few mls of lemon juice won't have any effect on the pH (since lemon juice is an acid.) If its a small tank, kalk is probably better, since it is basic, and will push the pH in a better direction.

I decided to go with lemon juice since I can get it at the grocery store, and its all natural. I'll let you know how it works

rob

Majano

majano anemone kill them QUICK!!
they will spread like wild fire and sting the crap out our stuff..
Kalk past joes juice works good.

I first found mine about 6 months ago and panicked but then thought they're kinds pretty, so I figured I'd watch them, well it's a while later and I've gone from one to two.
I still like them and they do not hurt anything..

Phil

I first found mine about 6 months ago and panicked but then thought they're kinds pretty, so I figured I'd watch them, well it's a while later and I've gone from one to two.
I still like them and they do not hurt anything..

Phil

I don't know why Phil, saw my first one about a month ago and now before I "treated" them they had sprouted to about 15 heads.I've seen them grow pretty large in other tanks.

The aesthetics don't really bother in so much as how they would interact with my softy population and the rapid growth had me a little worried. Just wish my Zoo's would grow that fast :lol:

I've been reading on how to get rid of pest anemones. I decided to first try the injection with lemon juice. Seems safe and natural. My total system volume is about 125 gallons, so a few mls of lemon juice won't have any effect on the pH (since lemon juice is an acid.) If its a small tank, kalk is probably better, since it is basic, and will push the pH in a better direction.

I decided to go with lemon juice since I can get it at the grocery store, and its all natural. I'll let you know how it works

rob

Rob please let me know, sounds interesting.

Regards

Sooch

well, whats the update on lemon juice? did it work? I have about 7-8 of these suckers..thought they were rock anemone, but then found out they are majanos and are stingy the edge of my prize yellow fiji leather....

what about injecting with boiling water with white vinegar??? this is how I killed aptasia in the past.

I think I have them all cleared up, time will tell. Lemon juice killed them, as long as you can inject them in the stem. Dosed them with about a half ml. They turn black and shrivel up never to inflate again. I had one troublesome rock where they would retract into holes and I couldn't inject them. I eventually ended up dribbling boiling water over this rock where they aptasia were (used a cup measure), and they all seem gone. Feather dusters on the rock are still alive, so was able to keep the boiling water damage fairly localized.

Seems you really need to be able to get it right in the side of the stem though. Going through the top didn't seem to work too well, so troublesome if they retract into a hole. But boiling water nuked. I'll post again if they re-emerge

rob

Last edited:
rob,

I assume you had the rock out of the tank when you did this? or did you inject them while in the tank??

rob,

I assume you had the rock out of the tank when you did this? or did you inject them while in the tank??

I injected in the tank. The only bad effect could be if it was a nanotank, you could lower the pH with the acidic juice, but besides that its harmless, and shouldn't have much affect against the pH against the buffered water.

My system is about 125 gallons total, so 2 mls of lemon juice can't do anything against the pH. Researched it a bunch first though just in case.

Anyway, saw no signs of stress or anything from it.

For the boiling water that finally cleaned my troublesome rock, that occurred in the kitchen

rob

Last edited:
I am new to reefing and went to my LFS and was sold two of these for $5 each. I asked what they were and he said mojo. He said that they are not bad and easy to keep under control. I am now concerned that I have allowed a pest into my tank. I guess I just need to do more research and not impulse buy anymore...He also sold me a sand sifting star fish and said it would do great in my 65 gal. Its bad when you can't trust your lfs to give accurate info. :evil:

Do some research before you remove them. If you just pull em out they will spread everywhere (I think, at least true for aptasia). Anyway, search the forums a bit so you can be sure to remove them from the system.

Good luck
Rob

Do some research before you remove them. If you just pull em out they will spread everywhere (I think, at least true for aptasia). Anyway, search the forums a bit so you can be sure to remove them from the system.

Good luck
Rob

Thanks, I have them on a small rock so I think I may just boil the rock with another rock that I found bubble algea on. Hopefully that will take care of it!

Kassie

Back