Can anyone identify this Algae?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefJeff

Hello,

I have had this algae or grass growing in my tank for a couple months. I was told it was a beneficial grass for my 50 gallon reef. Now I notice it is getting out of control. I am worried it may just be a bad algae.

Although all my water testing comes out great, I don't want to see this polluting my tank if it is a bad algae.

Thank you,

For a larger image, try this link.

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/DiscusJeff/Discus Tank/Reef/P9120490.jpg?t=1284338717

ReefJeff

P9120493.jpg

Last edited:
kinda blurry but looks like feather caluerpa or razor caluerpa. Its a good algae but can over take if not being eaten by tangs. I would suggest it go in the refugium and not in the main display other than for feeding.

Thank you for the replies.

Should I get a sea slug to help keep it under control? It is starting to get intwined with my Pom-Pom corals.

When you reference a tang, possibly a yellow tang? It is a 50 gallon tank with 3 maroon clowns and 3 small blue damsels.

Thank you,

ReefJeff

It looks like caluerpra prolifera I have it in my sump and the best way to maintain it is to just pluck the leaves off and or cut the strainds it is beneficial for your tank.

Back