can coralline be green??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skeptic9962

im not sure if this is all coralline algae its on my old and new tank its a olive green and is mixed in with the purple coralline looks exactly the same but just green......any idea?

Sometimes coraline will start out a light green. I had that happen in one of my tanks and eventually it turned purple. Also, light intesity will determine the color of the coraline as well :)

I get some olive-green stuff that grows on the sides of the tank. Don't know if it is corraline, but it is just as hard to scrape off.

Don,
I have the same stuff growing on my glass, almost like calcium deposits on the glass, only it is green.
Magnet glass cleaner will not take it off.
A friend of mine told me to use a razor blade.

It comes off with a plastic scraper (I wouldn't trust myself with a razorblade on an acrylic tank), but I have to push hard, do it often, and I also have to keep the scraper sharpened.

I've had Marshall Island LR with lots of green on in, olive & darker, also with lower lights deep dark purples, light & water conditions will make it different colored!

I still have some green coraline, but pink/purple and red now taken over. Green coralene never hurt my tank, it's just that the pink and reds are nicer to look at IMP.

I have a lot of that hard green stuff too. I was told it was green coralline. I was also told that you will rarely get two different colors of coralline in the same tank.

I definitely have multiple colours of corraline. From purple to rose to pink, plus mint-green (as well as that horrible olive-green stuff on the sides of the tank).

The different colours seem to be somewhat light-related.

Nothing recent. I'm overdue for an acrylic polishing (to take out the urchin scratches - need to do it about every 6 to 12 months).

I have the purple, pink, and light green. I was at saltwater city one time and theirs had "black" on it....allthough im not exactly sure what that was, but it sure was everywhere. They claimed it was coraline.

Also, I found that the purple changed to pink in my tank one time after I switched lights.

Back