can I add egg shells to my tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

busdriver

I know this is probably a bit silly, but we cook about 6 eggs for breakfast everyday, and i'm always looking for cheep Ca. I figure rinsing it for a bit, then microwave'n it for a little bit then a little more rinse'n and it'll be ready for my sump...
i know it'll probably dissolve slowly, but it is free. a quick google search says:
"The shell is made of calcite, a crystalline form of calcium carbonate."
sounds good to me! i just want a 2nd opinion...

I know this is probably a bit silly, but we cook about 6 eggs for breakfast everyday, and i'm always looking for cheep Ca. I figure rinsing it for a bit, then microwave'n it for a little bit then a little more rinse'n and it'll be ready for my sump...
i know it'll probably dissolve slowly, but it is free. a quick google search says:
"The shell is made of calcite, a crystalline form of calcium carbonate."
sounds good to me! i just want a 2nd opinion...

Interesting Idea...Iid be interested to know if that would be a good option...

there is a lot of sulfur in egg shells and residual proteins (pollution) so keep them out of your CaRx.
As to inside the tank, they would do nothing in a PH of 8.0+. Would take below 7 before any dissolution would occur.

All knowing wiki said, "Birds are known for their hard-shelled eggs. The eggshell is approximately 95% calcium carbonate crystals, which are stabilized by a protein matrix. Without the protein, the crystal structure would be too brittle to keep its form. The standard bird eggshell is a porous structure, covered on its outer surface with a cuticle (called the bloom if it is around a chicken egg), which helps the egg retain its water and keep out bacteria."

unless i dump 30+ in at once i don't think the protein will cycle my tank.
I still think that it'll dissolve slowly. coral sand dissolves slowly into the water... i am sure that egg shells dissolve near the same rate and coral sand. I can always squish it in case it starts tanking up too much room.

Coral sand, dissolving in our tanks, is kind of a myth. Our tanks are almost never at a low enough pH to cause the sand to dissolve.

Here's a good article that explains it. The specific portion of the article that talks about crushed coral or aragonite sand is about 2/3 of the way down the article, and starts off with this Header...."Method 3: Rely on CaCO3 dissolution in the tank to replace calcium and alkalinity" Here's a key sentence..."Indeed, many companies that sell calcareous sand/gravel for use in aquaria prominently advertise the supposed buffering effect of such substrates as a means to help stabilize and maintain calcium and alkalinity in aquaria. Unfortunately, such claims make mountains out of proverbial mole hills."....

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/7/chemistry#h1

Last edited:
I would be worried about the growth and production hormones that are fed to the chickens that lay the eggs - kinda like throwing DEET in....

Since DEET managed to thin the shells of most bird's eggs, I would assume anything else that is fed to these animals would leak into the shells as well.

I wouldn't even trust farm fresh eggs, as I know they still buy their food from the feedstore and the farmer never reads the ingredient listings before feeding their chickens.

Haha - ohh crap, now I need to stop eating eggs again...

medium

from what i can tell, in the "low demand" tank it starts to do some good around 8.1 ph and in the "high demand" it starts to do some good around 8.15 ph.
Here is one part of it:
"Once we penetrate below the surface of a sand bed or of live rock we encounter an environment chemically different from the ambient aquarium water. In these interstitial spaces high densities of microbes and infaunal organisms (polychaete worms, sipunculans, sponges, etc.) make a living. They draw food from the water column, whether detritus, plankton, or whatever else, into these spaces, digest it, and release CO2 as a respiratory byproduct. As a result, the dissolved CO2 concentration in porewater is typically much higher than in the overlying water column, resulting in lower pH, CO32- concentration, and than in the overlying water column. Because of this local reduction of dissolution of carbonate minerals can occur in sand beds and live rock."

that says that some critters help the solid CaCO3 dissolve by breathing on it under the sand or deep in the rock...
I don't plan on having this be my only buffer, but use it in addition to kalk other additives... besides, having a ph of 7.6 isn't out of the question. last summer my tank in the garage was down in the 7.4-7.6 until i started to do kalk. i didn't have much sand, didn't do many WCs, and didn't add much to my tank... (don't try this. my trumpet did fine, but i lost an open brain)

If you have a tank with a PH in the low 7s, cheap calcium supplementation is the LAST of your problems. At that PH, your corals are dying. Can't confuse deep sand bed denitrification activity with mid-display chemistry.

You want better water quality? Change some periodically in lieu of adding land based polutants.

You have misunderstood what Chris has said. Can there be some dissolution of CaCO3 at a pH of ~ 8.1, yes but only if the Ca++ and Alk are very low. These can be defined by Omega Value equations. That graph you tried to post deals with Ca++ and Alk demand and how it can drop the pH, not calium dissolution.

medium

Because of this local reduction of dissolution of carbonate minerals can occur in sand beds and live rock."

True and Chris will tell you flat out that the amount that does dissolve has no measurable impact and nill effect as a sup for Alk or Ca++. You need to read fruther or decided to leave out this important fact.

Chris
Aragonite sand and live rock can and do dissolve very slowly in our aquaria, and in so doing provide a tiny buffer against calcification. This buffer effect, however, is so small as to be essentially inconsequential and is sufficient to offset only an extremely low rate of calcification. The amount of calcification we could obtain after a year with supplementation would take perhaps 25 yrs to achieve by relying on the dissolution of our sand bed and live rock. Clearly this method is a poor choice.

Adding egg shells to a tank has even less effect than adding powered aragontie. You will gain nothing. This even goes into mote detail

Calcium Carbonate as a Supplement (Aragamight; Liquid Reactor)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2002/chem.htm

Calcium and Alkalinity Balance Issues
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-04/rhf/feature/index.php

After you see a few of the shows on how most eggs are produced you don't want to eggs again!

One reason why we raise our own chickens.
What you feed them affects the egg, the color of the yoke and effects the taste, its not just getting in through the shell.

Our chickens eat grass and bugs and eat my garden veggies :mad:
You cant think about the bugs too much tho! :eek:

Next we need to do something about Milk!
Oh sorry stephen.. back to your topic!

well it might be safe for you to add your egg shells to your tank. they are very pouris and i am sure that coral will grow on it;) it would be like free frag rubble hehe

why dont u buy cacl from a pool shop or something or load your ca reactor up with chicken grit(bags of sea shells that they feed to chickens) they disolve quikly in a ca reactor but seriously if ur gonna but egg shell in your tank u might aswell feed your corals some bacon while your at it

Back