can i get your opinion?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

youareafever

i want to get the opinions of others on which skimmer to upgrade too. currently i have a 65 gallon tank w/ about a total water volume of 100 gallons. i am looking at plumbing another tank into this system prob somewhere in the 20 gallon range. i know the system will eventually have a heavy bioload. as of now i have a euro-reef rc100 for my skimmer.

the skimmers i was looking into were either the msx 160 or 200 and ATB small.
considering the huge price diffrence in the two brands, i would have to wait and save some cash before i can acctually purchase a ATB small but am worried if this skimmer would be overkill? so if you can give me your opinion that would be great!

the octopus skimmers seem to be good skimmers once you do the mesh mod .
i have the ASM baby-g , mesh moded, it works pretty good for me plus you can also do different types of mods to it if you like

thanks for your input guys. ive looked at asm, octopus, warner, C&C and some other and i narrowed it down to the two i choose. anyone got any opinions on MSX or ATBs?

oh and i meant i have the euroreef RS100

IMO you should save your money and stick with the RC100. IMO its a fine skimmer for a 65 tank. I wouldn use an ASM G-3, I had one and didnt perform any better than what you have without modding it. Last year I had a modded RC80 on a bigger tank and it worked fine.

Dont the MSX skimmers come with dual thread wheel pumps?

I have the MSX200 on an 80 gallon total water load and like it. I got the one with the mesh so I had to trim and secure the mesh to get it to quiet down and restart, but I have heard the new pinwheels solve this problem...

thinking of trying to DIY a cone, local reefer here were i am did it very succesfully and now am just waiting to see if it preforms.

I 2nd the ASM G-3. Not too much cash but you get ur moneys worth. (Do the mesh too) By the time your done DIY items such as a skimmer, wavebox etc... you waste alot of time and the money saved compensates for all the time you put into it. Say you saved $50.00 but put 6 to 8 hours? Plus re-sell, people are hesitant to buy DIY. Just my 2 cents, sorry.

Just experienced that in the past and will never do a DIY. Wasted alot of money on items that didn't go my way. ha,ha,ha

ive looked into the warner and the c&c, the two look comparable to a euro-reef and BM to me. i would have listed C&C for an option originally but the thing is too large for my sump, and the warner comes with the same pump brand euroreef uses and i want to try something diffrent.

this is a pic of what a local reefer managed to put together in a week or so.
IMG_1334.jpg

pretty good, kinda meshed together the KZ cone design and the ATB bubble plate, he gonna use the tunze version of the sicce pump on it.

well, tell your friend to hook you up....lol that looks really good.:)
what does he plan on doing for an outlet? same wedge design?
but dont waste the money one the tunze version on the sicce psk2500,
im assuming they will be much more expensive than these:
http://www.shop.reeffiltration.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=6

ive looked into the warner and the c&c, the two look comparable to a euro-reef and BM to me. i would have listed C&C for an option originally but the thing is too large for my sump, and the warner comes with the same pump brand euroreef uses and i want to try something diffrent.

this is a pic of what a local reefer managed to put together in a week or so.
IMG_1334.jpg

pretty good, kinda meshed together the KZ cone design and the ATB bubble plate, he gonna use the tunze version of the sicce pump on it.

i cant get him to tell me how he made the cone let alone make one for me. i am gonna have to bribe him.

Wow, pretty nice DIY. Very impressive! I guess if you have the correct tools to create a bad boy like this I guess you do save some serious money. But then again the tools in general will cost you. Never scene a cone sold before at a plexiglass store? Wonder how much that cost in general?

i dont think my friend owns any special tools. if he did use them he prob borrowed from another person or something. the cone he made himself, and he wont freakin tell me how he did it. :mad:

Back