Can i take my pair of clowns and put them in a tank with no cal/alk?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

iroll253

Trying to move my clowns for a bit till my anemone grows into a quick 10g setup. Can i move them from a reef to the tank with just the salinity right and no introduced cal/alk/mag??

Im asking if its okay with just the salinity right.

Like if i don't introduce anything else?

Of course ill acclimate them but still will they be okay for a month with no other supplements in the tank?

nICE E30.... i have the same one....

so your puting a Nem in a new tank which is a 10g.. and your removeing the clown from the nem?

wanna elaborate?
what species Of nem's is this?

If the tank is stable and capable of handling the size of your clowns x2 then yes.

The fish should be just fine, especially if there isn't live rock and sand in the holding tank. A fresh mix of saltwater will be very stable, and without any coral or coraline to use the calcium / carbonates up they won't be depleted like they are in a tank with coral.

BTW - the bimmer is def. cool.

Are you going to be putting the clowns into the 10 gallon tank? If you do this with no rock in the tank your nitrates, nitrites, amonia, and phospate levels will be impossible to keep low. You need rock in the tank for bacteria to process the waste. Your post isn't really clear so maybe you were planning this already? Fish don't need Cal/MG/or Alk supplements so if you have cured rock in the tank then you will be good.

The gold stripe maroons are in the 10 right now.

I know their a large breed but they can manage for a bit.

There is nothing else at all in the tank.

As for sandswhitson's comment thats what water changes are for right?

I do about .5 to one gallon every other day.

Also how was the post not clear?

Clowns are plural, and it says trying to move them into a quick 10g setup lol
Then it states from my reef to the tank...

Anyways i have it under control thanks for the reply's :)

Last edited:
Back