Can my friend keep...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FUBAR

I'm awesome.
...a clam with this setup?

He's got a 40gal tank. Averaging about 6 watts per gallon. PC lighting. The lights are about 3" from the surface of the water, and the clam could be put within 5" under the surface. So it would be about 8" from the lights.

I know clams need a lot of lighting, and I don't have any experience with them. So would this work?

Well he hasn't gotten one yet. So I don't know how big it would be. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind the feeding. What's involved with that? Also, could he keep one lower in the tank?

Generally, when a clam is under 3 inches, supplemental feedings need to be done. This can be accomplished by removing the clam to a separate container and dosing phytoplankton in the water. Wait until the water changes from green to clear, and the clam can go back in the tank.

Here is some more reading:

Excellent Reading on Clams

Tridacnid Workshop

Hope this helps!

Ok, now I have a question for ME. Well... not like, me questioning myself... but... well, you know what I mean.

Anyways, I just setup a 30gal cube. I have two of those fourtube 96watt Coralife PC fixtures. Is that enough lighting to keep a clam? I'd like a crocea. From what I've heard, they grow the slowest.

I read through the workshop, but it doesn't give a really good way of figuring out if my lighting is sufficient. Just generalities.

Last edited:
Ok, just incase someone comes across this and decides to answer it.

DON'T WORRY!

I went MH.

Back