Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

philjo

Hi All

Can anyone ID this for me?
DSCF0874.jpg

DSCF0873.jpg

Thanks in advance
Phil

too small to tell...looks like a blasto and or a baby plate coral/fungia...let it grow...if it breaks off the rock..its fungia:)

It looks like a cynarnia, donut coral, meat coral or whatever you want to call it. :)

Any updated pictures of this?? I just found one of these growing in my tank earlier this week! It looks very similar to this one so I am hoping the one in your picture has grown enough to see something different...

If you look closely it has a mounth in the center of the disc. The fact that it has a mouth and the coloration I'd say either a flower nem or possibly even a mini carpet nem. I'd see if it takes to eating something such as mysis shrimp.

Can you tell us what the size of the specimen is? And have you tried to feed it anything?
Also has it or does it move around tank at all?

Cheers,
Alex

If you look closely it has a mounth in the center of the disc. The fact that it has a mouth and the coloration I'd say either a flower nem or possibly even a mini carpet nem. I'd see if it takes to eating something such as mysis shrimp.

Can you tell us what the size of the specimen is? And have you tried to feed it anything?
Also has it or does it move around tank at all?

Cheers,
Alex

The one in my tank is the size of, maybe a touch smaller, a pencil eraser. I don't think it is any sort of anemone since it definitely has a skeletal structure. In my tank it is growing on a piece of dead SPS skeleton that now has a bunch of zoes on. It has never been there before and I have had the frag for well over a year now.

The one in my tank is the size of, maybe a touch smaller, a pencil eraser. I don't think it is any sort of anemone since it definitely has a skeletal structure. In my tank it is growing on a piece of dead SPS skeleton that now has a bunch of zoes on. It has never been there before and I have had the frag for well over a year now.

That is super small. I'd have to see a photo of it before making any assumtions. :D

As for mini carpet anemone, they do not get any larger than a quarter. When my mini carpet nem split the new one was the smaller than a dime.

meat coral, question answered!

Huh? Meat coral? Is that Cynaria? If so, I am not sure how in the world it got in there. I have never had anything even similar to that in my tank. There is no way that could be a hitchhiker...well I guess ANYTHING is possible. The thing is that the skeletal structure has attached itself to the frag. I don't know of any Cynaria..lobo, wellso, whateverphylia or any of that stuff that marries its skeleton to anything at all.

Hi All

Here is an updated photo. It has probably doubled in size and has distinct "tentacles"
It eats brine shrimp and other meaty food when I feed the fish.
It has never moved.

DSCF1052.jpg

It is probably about 1.5" in diameter now.

Cheers
Phil

Back