Can someone tell me what I have here?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

A friend of mine who propagates corals for income had a Fungia which for some reason started to wane and looked like it was about to die. Was in his display tank. One day the plate looked devoid of life yet there were a dozen little Fungia polyps around the tank. Most made it and grew to be nice looking orange plates. Looks like you might have gotten one really cool hitch-hiker!

93_large.jpg

Hi All

Here is an updated photo. It has probably doubled in size and has distinct "tentacles"
It eats brine shrimp and other meaty food when I feed the fish.
It has never moved.

DSCF1052.jpg

It is probably about 1.5" in diameter now.

Cheers
Phil

Okay mine looks very much alike yours...except still in it's infancy. I am pretty sure they are the same.

A friend of mine who propagates corals for income had a Fungia which for some reason started to wane and looked like it was about to die. Was in his display tank. One day the plate looked devoid of life yet there were a dozen little Fungia polyps around the tank. Most made it and grew to be nice looking orange plates. Looks like you might have gotten one really cool hitch-hiker!

93_large.jpg

I think that is exactly what happened to mine. I had a plate coral which had similar coloring. One day it just up and died(or so I thought) and then I find this. Apparently it was budding!

Back