can you clean out old sand?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

beoks

my questions comes from a fellow member who decided the old sand bed in the tank was fueling cyano. is there a way to clean out old sand? boil it dry it out anything? what about a deep sand bed? i know your not suppose to touch them but could you remove all the sand spread it out and rinse it or something? or is your only option to replace it?

you can clean it instead of replaceing it..
rinse alot and dry it out then rinse again, then rinse again..

Well i have vary fine sand and im just wonderin what you would use to rinse it out?

Maybe putting it in a towl and letting water run through it?

put it in a bucket...fill bucket... stir sand as you let the water flow from hose to bucket..causing overflow..and stir to kick up the crud...water should be cloudy as you do this...once water seems a little clear you should be all set.

This is normally what I do to clean sand before I put it in a new tank or replacement....i imagine it would and should work for used sand to.

You can also use some bleach to oxidise all the organics, then just neutralise the bleach and you will be good to go.

Kim

the bucket trick works very well, but you I wouldn't be using very fine sand for a thick sand bed (if that's what you're doing). You can also use a gravel vac with a valve to reduce the suction. I've done that before and it works pretty well. If you have a deeper sand bed just don't go down very far.

Back