Can you glue Acrylic to glass?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cyber_ecco

Just wondering if there is a way to glue acrylic to glass? I have a 90g custom tank with glass overflow. I want to glue some black acrylic on the glass so I don't have to see inside the overflow box. Is it possible and if so what do I use? Or is it better to just paint the glass overflow box black? What paint is best for that? I read on another forum Krylon fusion works, but is it safe submersed in water?

for a simple overflow cover tht doesnt need to be water tight you can use silicone without worry. For a more permanent attachment, use
E-6000

What is E-6000? Is that a type of glue or solvent? Where can you get it? Do I have to go to a specialty store or does HD carry it?

There is an epoxy you can use that works pretty well. I just put acrylic baffles in a glass sump tank I bought. It is called Weld-On 40.

I put the baffles in place with weld-on 40, then reinforced with silicone. The silicone will separate from the acrylic after a few weeks, but it will help hold it in. Here is where I found a reference to the weld-on 40

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f76/gluing-plexiglass-baffles-in-a-glass-tank-74014.html

Seems to be holding well in my tank.

rob

Dap E-6000 Glue, Formulated To Meet High Performance Requirements & Permanently Adheres To Most All Substrates & Materials, Cement, Metals, Rubber, Marble, Vinyl, Ceramic, Glass, ABS & PVC, Hardwood, Tile , Fabric, Leather, Most Plastics, Brick, Linoleum, Brass, Wood, Aluminum, Copper, Neoprene, Polycarbonate & Fiberglass.

It's made by Dap Plastics, I found it at Ace hardware. It's pretty amazing stuff.
It will glue just about anything to anything else...I glued acrylic baffles into a glass fish tank with great results.

Looks like DAP E-6000 is what I am looking for. I guess I was just worried about how these glues/solvents would do submersed in water. As in what it may leech into the tank, but if you guys have been using it with no problems then thats good enough for me. Thanks all.

I used silicone for my overflow and baffles everything is still holding with out a problem.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Mark. The E-6000 was recommended to me by the acrylic suppliers I use. The overflows I built out of acrylic and glued into my glass tanks are still water tight after three years. For glass to acrylic, or vise versa, I will never use anything else.
Silicone can and will peel if you apply any pressure to it. Weldon 40 will not hold long term either as it dries hard.

Looks like DAP E-6000 is what I am looking for. I guess I was just worried about how these glues/solvents would do submersed in water. As in what it may leech into the tank, but if you guys have been using it with no problems then thats good enough for me. Thanks all.

If there is one thing that I would warn others about this glue is that it does not fill gaps so that all parts must be flat and square. It is the consistency of model glue so it will run as well if you over apply. Well I guess that's two things.

It does out-gas significantly so make sure you let it cure thoroughly.
As far as leeching, while I can't offer any scientific evidence one way or the other...I do know what problems I have with my tank, I can't blame on the glue.

When Duane told me about this material last year. He said,I wouldn't try to build a fish tank with it, but it works great for most applications.

I would have to agree.

I want to say it's on the label, but I couldn't swear to that. The tube I have looks like a used up tube of toothpaste. Just use some common sense and you should be fine.

Back