Can you help me with an Algae ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lettuce nudis are not selective feeders... not at all. I have run thousands of them through my culture tanks in the greenhouse. Under natural sunlight... grew and amazing number of macroalgae... and watched the lettuce nudis eat quite a few of the Chlorophytes.

Individuals seem to be selective... or maybe opportunistic. But collectively they eat a wide range of green algae. Especially the pretty/desirable or expensive (to import) algae such as Maiden's Hair (Chlorodesmis) :p

WEll So Far I have tossed in about 10 Various Urchins from Long Spine to Pincushions... I also tossed in a Lawnmower blenny and about 30 hermits or so... I am getting sick and Tired of this Algae... I have no clue as to what It is... My skimmer is definetly working and the water is as clean as it can be... I cannot even find an Identification on this algae... I vacumm the sandbed (less than 1") on a weekly basis as well as doing water changes on a weekly basis with pure Ro/Di... Also I have been blowing off the rocks on a daily basis in hopes that It goes away... I hope that by middle of next month I can stop getting cleanup stuff and actually start getting all the nice corals we have down here..

James

no worries... its still just as Mike/Mojo stated some posts back: young tank with inevitable series of nutrient driven algal succession.

Have patience my friend. The first few months are scrappy for most everybody.

Increased water flow and skimming/nutrient export speed the process up.

Lack of flow, heavier nutrient influx (sponge laden rock as Mike pointed out), etc will prolong it.

I am worried though about your mention about using pure RO/DI water for water changes. If you do not reconstitute such pure water you WILL have persistent problems with flat pH (below 8.3 or even much lower at night) which among many disadvantages... low pH favors nuisance algae ;)

Check your ALK and pH my friend. Target 8.3 (night) and 8.6 (day) for pH and 8-12dKH for ALK ideally IMO

Anth-

Yeah I'm Just getting tired Of It.. It seems as though its on Its way out... Everything Is about as Stable as can be... Ph 8.1-8.3 Alk 9dkh Which was Raised from 8dkh...

As for Flow There is Plenty of flow... Dolphin 3600 for Return... Pcx100 runs thru the Chiller and Into the tank... Seq Hammerhead for Closed Loop...

I am hoping that by weeks end I will be adding a bit more light as well.. Probably not the best time but they are going to be weak 250w 20k bulbs just to bring out the blue some and Maybe kill off some of the algae...

This Algae will Surender to the Wrath of me LOL

James

your Alk and pH are flat... too flat IMO

I'm guessing by these numbers that your Ca though is (errantly) high. No doubt over 400... I'm guessing more like 450-ish

Relaxing on the Ca and allowing Alk and pH to stay higher is much better for tank health overall, and especially for coral growth IMO

Regardless of high Ca or not, do try to get those numbers up. Again... 8.3 bare minimum (night) pH and 10 dKH would be very nice to see.

Anthony Calfo said:
your Alk and pH are flat... too flat IMO

I'm guessing by these numbers that your Ca though is (errantly) high. No doubt over 400... I'm guessing more like 450-ish

Relaxing on the Ca and allowing Alk and pH to stay higher is much better for tank health overall, and especially for coral growth IMO

Regardless of high Ca or not, do try to get those numbers up. Again... 8.3 bare minimum (night) pH and 10 dKH would be very nice to see.

Well the alk Is controlled by the Ca Reactor... Ca is about 450ish... I have Seen Extremely good growth from the Levels that I am running... Even now with the Algae.. The color is great and growth is Great... Since Running these numbers I have yet to have a coral die on me that I couldnt relate to a tank mishap (flood, Ca reactor Failure, Or my Stupidity)...

Is there some Reason why one would want to Deviate on the Alk from where Nsw values are? I mean Obviously the Ocean is the best place for the Corals.. Why would we not want to mimic it instead of playing with the numbers?

James

Try ussing a kalk ractor.I had a similar problem and started to use kalk with very good results.The advantage to ussing kalk is that it gets phosphate out of solution making it unusefull for algae.This is important because there are diferent types of phosphate and test kits only messure inorganic phosphates.Organic phosphate may accumulate in the water or in the sediments.These organic sources of phosphate can easily be converted into inorganic forms by the algae and can then be utilized.An othe benefit is that kalk makes the skimmer more efficient.This is because of the reaction of calcium hydroxide from the kalk with fatty acids and other organic compounds attracted to the air/water mix.I looked in your galery and saw what appears to be a DELTEC.IS IT???? If it is you should get impressive results with a kalk reactor.Im getting very constant redings of ca of 480ish.. Let me know if that skimmer is infact a deltec.

That was a deltec that I was borrowing.. I was test driving it for a friend... I am now Running an AquaC Ev400 which IMO is doing just about the same type of job as the Deltec was..

James

Ive had every thing from diferent types of highs in regular venturies and down drafts like etss,aquaz remoras and currently im ussing becketts and i must add its amazing!!! the bubbles in the skimmers chamber can be adjusted to the dessired size!! I havent seen this in any other type of injector.Im most interested in the deltecs wet neck and how it works so if its not too much to ask if you can discribe it.By the way have you tried the kalkwasser?

Back