Can you help my gaping Crocea? Picture

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanoReefer411

Ever since I purchased this Crocea it has not stopped gaping. When I first got it, the mantle was bleached in some spots. I didn't realize this until I had already brought it home and got it acclimated. His coloration isn't all the way better as you can see. I would like to know why he could be gaping? He's directly under a 150w HQI, but about 12 inches away from it because the fixture is raised. Calcium is 435 right now, but sometimes gets down to 400. Then I dose my 2 part solution again and it goes back up. My Dkh/Alk is 8.6. I use B-Ionic as my 2 part. Am I doing something wrong? He was always gaping like this. It didn't just start. He's about 4+inches now. I dose Dt's Phyto every other day. I thought this might help him, but I've been doing it the 4 months I've had him. Doesn't look like it's helped. I'd appreciate your suggestions. Here is a picture. Thank you.

Gina

MVC-012S.jpg

Last edited:
Croceas tend to hold there in-current syphons open more then other species, i wouldnt be too concerned about it. what you are calling(and many others)gaping isnt really gaping.

this is a gaping clam

That should put your mind at rest! Your clam needs more color but it's not that sick!

Do you have it up on your rocks, close to the light source? OK, I see now that you do. Do you have a good reflector on your bulb, like a luminarc? Also, I've read that 10K bulbs are good for clams. (I expect all bulbs are fine but 10K's are most intense).

That is good news. Thank you. I've been really worried about him. He really stretches out there sometimes. No, I don't have a Lumenarc Reflector. =( Love to get one though. I've got an Aqualight Pro. I'm going to upgrade my tank hopefully sooner rather than later. =) I've got to save. I'm pretty sure I'm going w/ T-5's. Unless I read something bad about them. Been reading a lot on them. My bulb is a 10k but I am changing it to a Phoenix 14k. He's not directly on the rockwork no. He's on his own rock in the middle of the tank.
I've seen clams on Barry's website and they weren't as open as mine. I thought there might be a problem with mine. Really wish he'd color back up. I've heard it can take up to 6 months. It used to be really bad. All the LFS did this too. I was so happy that it wasn't something I did. Thank you everyone. Should I still dose phyto?

It's good that it's improved as much as it has since you got it. As for dosing phyto, I did some reading about that on Wetwebmedia yesterday. What I took away from it is that phyto is most helpful for baby clams, not adults. Adults depend more on light-creating-energy via their own internal xoanthella (forgive spelling). I'm going to keep dosing phyto about once a week, but not more often than that.

Your idea about changing to T-5's is a subject for huge debate among some people here, I have always heard that clams will thrive better under the more intense metal halide lights but I have seen a few clam tanks without them. Unfortunately I don't have any of my own experience but that is what I have read about and heard.

Tim

Ever since I purchased this Crocea it has not stopped gaping. When I first got it, the mantle was bleached in some spots. I didn't realize this until I had already brought it home and got it acclimated. His coloration isn't all the way better as you can see. I would like to know why he could be gaping? He's directly under a 150w HQI, but about 12 inches away from it because the fixture is raised. Calcium is 435 right now, but sometimes gets down to 400. Then I dose my 2 part solution again and it goes back up. My Dkh/Alk is 8.6. I use B-Ionic as my 2 part. Am I doing something wrong? He was always gaping like this. It didn't just start. He's about 4+inches now. I dose Dt's Phyto every other day. I thought this might help him, but I've been doing it the 4 months I've had him. Doesn't look like it's helped. I'd appreciate your suggestions. Here is a picture. Thank you.

Gina

MVC-012S.jpg

I target feed mine DT's everyday - and my flame scallop.

Mom,
I love your Signature! It's so true. I'd say with me, it's all my animals since I no longer have a dog. It's very true.

Don
I have good water quality. I test with Salifert test kits. Everything is good.

I have heard a debate on T-5's Vs MH. If you go to Zeovit.com, they are in Europe I believe, they are way ahead of us in lighting. Read some of their articles. They are very good. Does anyone know if I can add links to RF? I don't want to get in trouble, so I won't right now. On RC though do a Search T-5 SPS tanks. Some results are just amazing!

Mom,
Don
I have good water quality. I test with Salifert test kits. Everything is good.

I have heard a debate on T-5's Vs MH. If you go to Zeovit.com, they are in Europe I believe, they are way ahead of us in lighting. Read some of their articles. They are very good. Does anyone know if I can add links to RF? I don't want to get in trouble, so I won't right now. On RC though do a Search T-5 SPS tanks. Some results are just amazing!

My point was that adding phyto is adding polution that the clams do not need. I do agree that T-5's are comming along great. I dont think it will be long before they are taking over the halide market. I'd love to switch.

Don

I agree that T-5's would be a fine substitute for your tank...lots of examples to prove that. Less heat, too. The only potential downside I see is that you don't get that shimmer effect from T-5's. Clams don't need that though. :)

I have been keeping croceas and a squamosa for many years with eight 40W NO's over the tanks with no problems other than the gold fleck in one crocea dissappeared.
I have now moved a crocea and the squamosa to a tank with T5HO with SLR's and two 40W NO's. Hopefully I'll find out someday that the gold fleck will return.
As for the T5HO VS. MH thing, Sanjay Joshi has a thread on RC that says he is going to compare T5 HO with MH. The thread is long as many hobbyists have been posting opinions on how they prefer the test to go.
I find it both interesting and tedious to read but here is the link.
SANJAY JOSHI'S THREAD ON T5HO VS MH

Maybe once the testing has been finished and reported, we'll know if both MH and T5HO will suffice for growing our clams, or if we should always use MH.

Don,

So all clams need is just a good light source and water flow to get nutrients from the water column??

Kirk

Don,

So all clams need is just a good light source and water flow to get nutrients from the water column??

Kirk

Yup water quality is much more important than adding polution by means of phyto. There is a newer clam reference book that is a excelent source for anyone that wants to keep clams. I forget the name but will check when I get home tonight.

Don

Don,

Do you mean the new book by James Fatherree ??

http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Clams-Aquarium-James-Fatherree/dp/0978619404/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-1949323-9428614?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183067492&sr=8-1

I've kept clams in the past but was told that I need to suplement sometype of phytoplankton as food. I guess I got some misinformation..thanks for getting me straight. :D

All of my corals including my golden maxima clam have been held by a LFS in NC while my 375g tank is being setup.

thanks again
Kirk

Don,

Do you mean the new book by James Fatherree ??

http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Clams-Aquarium-James-Fatherree/dp/0978619404/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-1949323-9428614?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183067492&sr=8-1

I've kept clams in the past but was told that I need to suplement sometype of phytoplankton as food. I guess I got some misinformation..thanks for getting me straight. :D

All of my corals including my golden maxima clam have been held by a LFS in NC while my 375g tank is being setup.

thanks again
Kirk

Thats the one!:)

Don

The clam in my avatar has been under 4x54w T5s for 11 months now. I got 3 croceas last August. The largest one has lost quite a bit of color, but the other 2 still look great. I'm switching to MH though this week as I really like the shimmer effect. I'm going from 216 watts to 608 watts (2 x 250w and 2 54w actinics).

Back