can you solve my skimmer dilema?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shogun97

I have decided to start a saltwater tank. I have a 90 gallon aquarium and need some advice on which skimmer I should go with....I'm not sure if I will have a sump at this point or not......so I'm open to all recommendations

I'll be starting the tank as a FOWLR

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
hhahaha I edited my post snobanker...Thanks for the heads up :)

What skimmer do you think I should be looking at?

well to be honest I'm trying to create a plan as I post.....I figure the skimmers is one of the most important parts so I would start there. The sump part I would really like to do, but its a little intimidating to someone that is brand new to this. The drilling and plumbing seems fairly complicated at first glance.....I"m sure you guys can help me out and I'll see it clearly in no time

aqua c remora, will do you good.

when i started i didnt have a sump, the Remora will hang out your main tank and do some damage to waste in your water,
THen if you want to add a sump later. (as i did) you can switch the remora to the sump with little trouble....

Picture3000182.jpg

on the back

Picture3001384.jpg

now in the sump,

ez

thanks for the the reply burning 2nd! Do you have any pics or info on the plumbing for your sump, did you drill your tank or did you try the external overflows.........there are to many options :S

Welocme to RF! :) As for the skimmer, if you won't be going with a sump then really your only options would be a hang on skimmer like th Remora (as suggested) as well as a few others. To setup a sump, you don't necessarily need to drill. Alot of people buy hang on overflows for the simple reason of not wanting to drill and works just as well. With going with a sump, you will have more options where skimmers are concerned. Just a thought...Good luck!:)

for a 90g, you really should have a sump on there, imo.
it will really help you keep things stable and the filtration available for a sump is waaaay better than hang on filters/skimmers.
you can use a 20g glass tank as a sump for cheap, it doesnt have to be spendy.

overflow boxes can be cheap too if you know where to look, here's one:
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=64

spend your money on a good protien skimmer, look at the DAS bx-1(in sump) or DAS ex-1(external or in sump, probably better):
http://stores.petorama.net/Categories.bok?category=Aquarium+Supplies:Pumps/Filters
there are other skimmers that are better and more expensive like the ATI bubble master 150, but they run $400.
the DAS skimmers are licenced generic versions of deltec skimmers which are world known as some of the best skimmers,
but the DAS skimmers are like 1/3rd the cost, a good way to get a great skimmer for cheap.

i would also look at getting a phosphate reactor that can also be used to run carbon as well:
http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/itemdetail.asp?itemid=FI-TLPBR150
with those items you would have a pretty good head start on filtration for a 90g reef

if you havent set up the tank yet why dont you see if one of your LFS's will drill the tank for you. should be about $10 or $15 per hole

u could, probly get it drilled, or DIy, depending on how your feel about your own craftmenship...

My tank is a cs90 over flow, an aqua lifter for protection,

if you can get a drilled tank thats one less thing you have to worrie about (over flowing)

other wise i used a peace of 1.5" septic line for the down pipe, and a nice 3/4 clear vinal tubeing, from hardware store,

Picture3000417.jpg

Picture3000415.jpg

Picture3000419.jpg

old and unorganized.

the bottem of my remora, hanging off the back lower part of my tank stand,
Picture3000486.jpg

u could, probly get it drilled, or DIy, depending on how your feel about your own craftmenship...

My tank is a cs90 over flow, an aqua lifter for protection,

if you can get a drilled tank thats one less thing you have to worrie about (over flowing)

other wise i used a peace of 1.5" septic line for the down pipe, and a nice 3/4 clear vinal tubeing, from hardware store,

Picture3000417.jpg

Picture3000415.jpg

Picture3000419.jpg

old and unorganized.

the bottem of my remora, hanging off the back lower part of my tank stand,
Picture3000486.jpg
ARE THOSE SEA GRAPES IN YOU SUMP?IS THAT GOOD TO DO?SHOULD I DO IT?

what?

grape something under my cheto

Picture3001863.jpg

old pic, much more cheto harveted last night

Thanks guys I'm gonna look into getting the tank drilled....if its too much maybe I will just do it myself...is it very difficult?? I'm generally pretty good with stuff like that.

Skimmerwhisperer thanks for the skimmer advice I'm gonna check out some of those models you recommended as well..........my budget just keeps getting bigger every post I make ha ha!

Burning2nd thanks for all the pics it really helps the learning when you can see a picture of what you are describing

I drilled,cut my refugium tank using a rotozip and a tile cutting bit. Worked like a champ. just need to keep it cool with a little water as you go

Back