Can you use basic white and blue leds to make a marine capable light fixture

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltytaste

is there any rule of thumb to the lighting using leds.. im trying to make a led light fixture for a nano to try it out ive heard good things so far ... thanks for any info

Welcome to RF!!! :D I was actually wondering the same thing seeing I am planning out a new system. When it comes to L.E.D's I am totally in the dark and don't have a clue where to begin with them. Here's a bump back to the top and I will tag along. I'm curious to see what feedback you get here. :)

Ya, evil is an LED savant. There's a few guys here that can get you by on the basics but if you want truly solid technical info evil is your man.

There are several things to consider when trying to find out what you want your LED's to do. If you are trying to use them for night lights your typical LEDs will work. They are normally around a 1/4 watt each to 1/2 watt. It would require a little understanding of the electrical circuit, but can be done with a 12 volt transformer. If you are using them for supplemental lighting or full on LED array, you are going to want to go with the 3 watt or higher.

I'm wondering the same thing. Is it feasible to use LEDs on larger tanks, such as 75 or 90 gal. Will enought lighting reach the bottom of the tank?

Back