candy cane coral with no color

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

raedwards

Hello...i just picked up a candy cane coral, it has 3 heads on it. and looks just fine.
My question is that it has no color to it all washed out and white, will the color come back to it in time or is this the color it will stay this color ?
My lighting is 4 bulb t5ho and my tnak is a 30 gal long 30" x 12" x 16". the coral was very light when i got it.
I also have a candy cane in my 55 gal that has very nice color, so any help on this would be great...Thanks raedwards

There are lot's of different color candy canes, and I couldn't say if it will get more color or not without seeing it. The pink ones are quite common, and can get very light color almost white. Now if it is completely white, there is a chance that it was bleached from too much light, and yes the color will return eventually if it lives. If that's the case, I recommend feeding it well, because bleaching is due to losing the beneficial zooxanthellae that produces much of the nutrition it needs, and it will not do well without it.

I hope you didn't pay much for it, because I have an excessive amount of them. Come check me out next time you need some frags!

here are some candies I picked up a couple weeks ago. these are 2 colonies. paid 10 bucks each. I hope you did not pay much for yours. under some nice lighting they might color up for ya.

003-8.jpg

002-7.jpg

Hey...thanks for all of your input and it looks like the pale pink one in the pic on the link, Thanks raedwards

I got the same white ones from returnofsid (see my avatar at left). They've been multiplying like crazy and have pretty much doubled in size since I got them. If they otherwise look and act healthy that may just be their color.

Back