canister filter what media in it?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

It really depends on what kind of tank you are going to run. Fish Only, reef tank, mixed??

Mike

a reef tank in near future as soon as my new lights are built.this tank is a 36gal corner tank with no room for a sump.going to start with soft coral and have 2 clowns 1 cleaner shrimp snails and hermits right now

Last edited:
I'd personally stay away from any sponges unless you are prepared to clean/change them out every 3 days atleast. You don't want them working against you and degrading water quality. What most people will put in their canisters though is carbon (if you plan to use any). It's really a great place for it as it is a high flow area perfectly suited for carbon to perform it's function...Just a thought:)

Last edited:
The option that I chose, with a lot of advice from other salt water aquarists, is placing the cured rubble pieces of live rock in the first two stages of my cannister filter (I have a rena xp3) I also have some algae to control the algae growth in my tank as well. I have a coralife model 226 protein skimmer and have absolutely no problems with my water.

The option that I chose, with a lot of advice from other salt water aquarists, is placing the cured rubble pieces of live rock in the first two stages of my cannister filter (I have a rena xp3) I also have some algae to control the algae growth in my tank as well. I have a coralife model 226 protein skimmer and have absolutely no problems with my water.

What type of algae did you put in the canister? How does it survive inside the canister w/o any light?:confused:

There was a guy who ended up putting a little light in his. It was an Eheim though.

I run Carbon 24/7 in little mesh bags, and PhosPur as well. I usually end up changing it at least once a month.

The only issue I can see with using rubble in a canister is for one, there would'nt be sufficient live rock in there to really benefit any IMO and also, live rock sheds so you will just be trapping detritus in the canister...Just a thought:)

I've got carbon and phosphate in Mesh bags, in my cannister filter.In between i've got two trays of Biomax rings.I used to have sponges in between but like people have said above, it's nitrate heaven plus it clogs up the canniter and i lost flow.Hope this helps!

Back