Canister Filters?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanaReefer

All opinions wanted on the best one's out there. Easiest maintenance first :)
For 20yrs I ran the Magnum 350 on all my FW. Only one I've ever used! But time's have changed and so have canister filters, big time! LMK please. Looking for one rated up to 50g.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

I ran dual fluval 405's for a few years while my 210 was FW. They kept up just fine.

I guess it really doesn't matter but I should say this will be for my 26g SW. I really need something that's going to catch the bigger particles. Crap just keeps building up in my HOB fuge and it's a PITA to keep clean. Much more so then a canister filter would be.

I ran my tank with a cascade 1000 canister for 2 years. It worked great and was way easier to clean than my sump set up. My only complaint is that it has start up issues. I have to shake it and tilt it while I plug it in or it won't start up

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

I ran my tank with a cascade 1000 canister for 2 years. It worked great and was way easier to clean than my sump set up. My only complaint is that it has start up issues. I have to shake it and tilt it while I plug it in or it won't start up

I'll definitely be staying away from the Cascade ones then-lol. Thanks for the heads up :)

Lol, I've read about others having the same issue with cascades

I guess it really doesn't matter but I should say this will be for my 26g SW. I really need something that's going to catch the bigger particles. Crap just keeps building up in my HOB fuge and it's a PITA to keep clean. Much more so then a canister filter would be.

Hi Nana, I will add my two cents FWIW. Yes it does matter this is for a SW system. Before I start, keep in mind people have kept SW, whether FoWLR, FO, or full reef with every possible combination of equipment and had varying degrees of success. My personal belief is that the equipment one chooses is not as important as the commitment to long term maintenance, and ease of maintenance means we are more likely to keep at it over the years. With that said...

Conventional wisdom suggest that canisters should not be used on SW tanks, specifically not reef ones. They are known to cause nitrate issues, people use the term "nitrate factories" and while I cant explain the science behind this (Boomer could), enough people agree on this that it seems legit. It sounds that you are trying to achieve mechanical rather than biological filtration to remove the large particles of detritus. There are several ways to do this, a canister being one, or you can add a sump with a filter sock to remove those pesky large particles. I made a drain tower for my sump with a drawer that uses filter floss and is easily replaced every 2 days. The important thing is that the media used to strain the water must be changed FREQUENTLY or it becomes the dreaded "nitrate factory". Lets be honest, how many people want to crack open a canister and replace the media every 2-4 days? It just isn't likely to happen over the long term and then nitrates will rise. Now a funny thing, a large local aquarium store in Tacoma actually sells packages that include a Cascade Canister as part of a SW start up system. They are more interested in selling aquariums to Army wives than helping people keep healthy livestock.

Back to task.... If for whatever reason a sump is not an option for you, I would think that a HOB power filter with those little pads would work better for your application than a canister, for one reason. It is open and accessible, and you can change the nitrate producing pad quickly and easily.

I am hoping one of the brighter RFers will chime in with a better, more scientific explanation as to why canisters are such a bad idea on SW, but thats my two cents.

I do value all opinions no matter if I agree with them or not :)

I need to add that I am running the Reef Octopus BH-1000 on my lil 26g :) It too picks up a lot of larger particles but is unable to push them to the top. They then settle on the bottom of the skimmer :(
I am a believer that if maintained properly a canister filter can be a great asset to any aquarium, FW or SW.
The way canister filters are made today make them even more desirable to me. Nothing like they were 10-15yrs ago!
Couple clips to open, lift out basket and replace media. Powerful & quiet. Can be hidden under or behind the stand. No priming required! Plus most media can be found at reduced prices via Amazon or even Ebay. Just about any media can be used too. These are the attributes I'm looking for.

A sump requires way more work, equipment and time for me. Light, pump & plumbing, over flow box or drilled, bulk heads, sump, baffles, oh my!!
I am a reefer on a budget! :) So I'm shopping around.

I had a Fluval 305 on my 36 gallon. It did a good job, easy to clean, started right up without priming. It came with filter pads, charcoal in bags and ceramic rings.

I hope you dont mind if i tag along for this thread. I am very curious which is best as well.

I'm in the same boat got a magnum 350 with my 55 gallon about a 2 year ago and that's all I've ever used. And only used it for water polishing with the 2 micron filter. I'm looking to set up a cube and looking for a good canister filter as main filtration

This would be massive overkill for your setup, but I use a Fluval FX5 to keep the water in my 300-gallon FOWLR crystal clear. Since it is a FOWLR, I get by cleaning the filter every 2 weeks.

Just a tad overkill-lol. So far we've got 2 Fluval. I'm looking at the Enhime (sp) As they have a controllable return flow. This way I could go with a higher gph. I'm already running an MP10es.

The Eheim canister filters are the BMW's of the canister world. We have always had great success with them, they even make some with the heaters built in. If your on a budget then get the Fluval. J

Hi Nana, I will add my two cents FWIW. Yes it does matter this is for a SW system. Before I start, keep in mind people have kept SW, whether FoWLR, FO, or full reef with every possible combination of equipment and had varying degrees of success. My personal belief is that the equipment one chooses is not as important as the commitment to long term maintenance, and ease of maintenance means we are more likely to keep at it over the years. With that said...

Conventional wisdom suggest that canisters should not be used on SW tanks, specifically not reef ones. They are known to cause nitrate issues, people use the term "nitrate factories" and while I cant explain the science behind this (Boomer could), enough people agree on this that it seems legit. It sounds that you are trying to achieve mechanical rather than biological filtration to remove the large particles of detritus. There are several ways to do this, a canister being one, or you can add a sump with a filter sock to remove those pesky large particles. I made a drain tower for my sump with a drawer that uses filter floss and is easily replaced every 2 days. The important thing is that the media used to strain the water must be changed FREQUENTLY or it becomes the dreaded "nitrate factory". Lets be honest, how many people want to crack open a canister and replace the media every 2-4 days? It just isn't likely to happen over the long term and then nitrates will rise. Now a funny thing, a large local aquarium store in Tacoma actually sells packages that include a Cascade Canister as part of a SW start up system. They are more interested in selling aquariums to Army wives than helping people keep healthy livestock.

Back to task.... If for whatever reason a sump is not an option for you, I would think that a HOB power filter with those little pads would work better for your application than a canister, for one reason. It is open and accessible, and you can change the nitrate producing pad quickly and easily.

I am hoping one of the brighter RFers will chime in with a better, more scientific explanation as to why canisters are such a bad idea on SW, but thats my two cents.

Agreed. I would avoid the canister if at all possible. Sump is always the best option with SW.

Thanks for the input. IMO & IME any filtration unit whether a canister, HOB or sump can become a nitrate factory if not properly maintained.

depends on how you maintain it, and what your using it for IMHO.
i have one of the softy tank. it just does flow, and holds some extra live rock. once every other month i rinse the rocks in clean salt water.. if i do run media, it gets changed every water change.. but its a softy tank, sps would just die looking at it..

Back