OceanRevive LED's?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks. I've been thinking about moving to LEDs. What was nice about the T5s I'm running now (besides the price) is that I didn't have to buy all the fixtures at once. The move to LEDs isn't going to allow that since I'm running 4 foot fixtures. I have hopes for a larger tank though, and while LED's would transfer much easier, the downside to that is it seems there is a new feature or control available all the time, so by the time I get to the larger tank, they would likely be outdated, and the pricing does seem to be coming down... It may be smarter for me to hold off, but I sure would like the ability to really ramp up and down. There also, is apparently no shortage of things to throw money at. LOL

I don't think I would go with the 24" model on a 75. Its a tight fit. 2014-02-18 08.49.22.jpg

The 16" model has the same power consumption as the 24" model. The 24" model has the led's spread out farther than the 16" model. The 16" model has deeper depth penatration. If you plan on getting a deeper tank than 24", then go with the 16" as it will fit future needs. If it is too bright for a 75, then don't run it at 100%.

I would guess the LED's being closer together let it be more of a 'beam' rather than a spread. Like those flashlights that you can narrow the beam on by twisting the head...

The 16" model has the same power consumption as the 24" model. The 24" model has the led's spread out farther than the 16" model. The 16" model has deeper depth penatration. If you plan on getting a deeper tank than 24", then go with the 16" as it will fit future needs. If it is too bright for a 75, then don't run it at 100%.

How high off the tank would you guess to get coverage with two 18"? I don't have a canopy, so, I could probably fit two 24's even if there was some 'spillage' over the side... When the upgrade comes, it will likely be a marineland 300DD (72" x 36" x 27"). Don't know how to phrase this any better, so I'm just going with it. Do you think the 3" would actually make much of a difference?

There are multiple sellers of this light on ebay. Hobbie bug shows par distribution. It shows the 16" has deeper light penetration. The 16" model has 55 led's & the 24" model has 51. The 18" model on ebay is a different brand.

Most top name brand led's are outrageously priced. The technology is changing. If you bought an expensive led a couple years ago, it probably has only blue & white. My metal halide ballast died so I had to do something. I also needed new bulbs. With the cheaper Chinese made led's on ebay, it was time to try them.

I purchased an ocean revive light about a month ago for my 40b and it is working great. Nice light with a built in timer and two channels that can be programmed.

Back