canon rebel xti settings

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

diablo

sand loving outcast
I just got my cannon rebel xti. and am a total newbie to SLR's .when it come to camara setting i am a idiot. who can help?

on my list to buy is a 100mm macro lens (good choice?)

thanks
larry

a macro is for extream close up I dont know how close you can get to things under water. do are 50mm normal lense first. thats a must.

I just got my cannon rebel xti. and am a total newbie to SLR's .when it come to camara setting i am a idiot. who can help?

on my list to buy is a 100mm macro lens (good choice?)

thanks
larry

See if you can rent/borrow a 50 mm and a 100mm before you buy. I borrowed my buddy's 100mm and I really enjoyed the shots I was able to take. Experiment then go buy : )

I happen to disagree with the above....I use Macro a lot for my reef tanks. It doesn't just allow you to get closer, it allows you to Focus closer. A lot of standard lenses have a minimum focusing distance of 1 meter or 3 feet. With a Macro, you can be closer and still get proper focus. Also look into the larger zoom lenses. For instance, I have a 70-300 Macro. It's can only be "macro" at the upper end of the scale. However, I can be 10 feet from my tank and take better pics than my other lenses. I also shoot a lot with my 50mm prime lens. However, this lens doesn't focus if I'm too close to the tank. Macro allows me to focus closer.

diablo,

there is a learning curve to this camera if you want to shoot good and proper pics. the only thing that I am missing from my rebel xti is a true macro lens.

Kirk

I am a photographer and if he is just starting out he should have a 50mm noral lense, you are much more advanced then where he is at. And macro lenses are not the cheapest of lenses to buy.

You can pick up a 50mm 1.8 lens made by Cannon for about $80.00 and it's actually an awesome lens. I use mine a lot. I really would like to get the 50mm 1.2 Macro...but it's much more expensive. I'd also suggest the 70-300 Macro made by Tamron. I love mine. Cannon and Tamron both make this lens...they're both very similar...but the Tamron seems to have better glass and gets better reviews. They're both inexpensive, for lenses.

when he bought his camera... does it come with lens already? and probably he already have a 50mm range.... now if we are talking about 50mm macro... compared to 100mm macro.... then i prefer 100mm macro because of the working distance i can work on... 50mm macro is really nice even better with 100mm macro but the working distance is too close. specially if you have a huge tank that you cannot even focus on the corals at the back of your tank because its too far for the lens. just my 2 cents. i hope that is his question in the first place.

now if for some reason you bought the camera withou the lens kit... just body.... then yes I agree with them.... go with the 50mm normal lens. or better just find a non prime lens with maybe 20 to 80 mm on it.... lots of room to grow...

i have the stock lens and i bought a 55-250 lens... but neither take breath taking shots of my tank. figuring out the settings still.

does this camara shoot in the raw? How?

and macro from distance is better 100mm from 10 feet away? 50 for closer shots?

your camera can shoot in raw, it should be under the quality settings though i own a nikon

as for the lenses
a 100mm macro will focus for maximum magnification at a distance further from the front of the lens than the 50mm macro but it will give less depth of field (area in focus) than the 50mm. for my nikon i own the tamron 90mm macro lens and have been pleased. i've found the working distance useful cause i started with macros of my aquarium but have started photographing insects and all other sorts of nature
a few tips from me would be to shoot perpendicular to the glass as much as possible, any angle blurs the shots
also white balance is a tricky thing to figure out, i can't explain it terribly well and am not familiar with canon cameras but i'm sure there's plenty of stuff online.
also if you're not use a tripod especially for corals, turn off water flow. using a tripod is particularly helpful because then you can use longer exposure times at least for corals and use wider f stops and lower ISO for less noise

Yes. Your camera does have a RAW setting. Your User's Guide should show you the exact menu option to select.

and macro from distance is better 100mm from 10 feet away? 50 for closer shots?

Hello again.
100mm macro has around 2-3 feet working distance from subject.
50mm macro i think has a closer or smaller working distance. some call it the true macro because of the 1:1 configuration.

Hope this helps.

The minimum focusing distance of the 100mm is less than 6" (which is where you will get true 1:1 macro). Don't fall into the trap of thinking a lens is a macro just because it says so as many of them don't offer true macro magnification (meaning 1:1). Be sure to check the specs before you buy a lens. The Sigma 70-300mm states it is a macro but only gets 1:2 magnification and has a minimum focusing distance of over 3 feet. I see that other people recommend the nifty fifty but I honestly think the EF 50mm f/1.8 isn't very good at all. It sounds like a lawn mower, is slow to focus and the depth of field is too narrow at F/1.8 to be useful. I haven't even touched mine in almost two years now. Stick with a good constant F/2.8 lens (macro or zoom) and that is all you will need.

Back