Canopy needed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

thorsanderson

LazyReefer
I need a 24"*12"*12" Canopy, I can't make one that looks good. Can anyone make for me? Will Pay. If you know a store that sales on let me know to please. Thanks.

Thor

Just curious what kinda canopy are you looking for? Something to house lights in or just a cover? and can you clarify your dimentions a little more width heghts and depth or what not.

lights

trying to house MH lighting. its for a 20 gallon tall. To be honest I would like to make it myself but I don't know how and am sure it would end up being a piece. the size of the tank is 24" long and 12" wide and I would want it to be at least 10" high

Ill post some pics of mine tommorow (my batt is chargeing), mine is over a 47gallon and i have to say was quite easy to build and i like how it turned out.

Basicly all you need is a upper and lower frame (two big squares that are your length and width) figrue out what space you would need between the two to make your heigth you want and gule and nail the uper and lower useing a few braces, cover it and your done. It will make more sense when i post my pictures. All i used was some 1/4 or 3/8 plywood and a few 1x2 and i got a nice strudy cannopy that i have 4 36" pc mounted in.

Ill get thoose pics for you tommorw.

Front
DSC00016.jpg

3/4 I have two fans mounted in the hood that blow cool air in to help cool it a bit still playing around with them some.
DSC00017.jpg

Hers is the lower corner, 2 1x2 butted up against each other to provide stability.
DSC00018.jpg

A shot of the inside top, I have uper and lower 1x1 the upper is so that the top ply has something to mount to and the lower ones are for mi lights to mount to so that they arent right upagainst the wood.

DSC00019.jpg

I hope that maybe will give you an idea or two, i know im a visual person so if i can see a picture i can figure it out alot easier then plans or something. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Tyler

That canopy is perfect! Just what I want over mine. The pictures help a lot. Just a few questions. You build the 1*2 and 1*1 supports first then put the plywood over that, right? Did you hammer the plywood or glue it? Also what tools do i need. I have a skill saw and a jig saw but i am having a hella of a time making straight cuts.... any advice? Also some general more detail woud be great. Thanks! -Thor

No Problem,

Tools wise the more the better lol, If you dont have a air nailer i would sugest useing screws instead of nails to hand nail on 1x2 will be a pain trust me. Just predrill all the holes just a little under the size of the screw and that will elliminate any chance of spliting. here is a list:

Skill saw (for cutting the plywood)
Cut off saw (if you have one for cutting the 1x2 or just use the jigsaw)
Elctric drill
Adrill bit just smaller then the screws you want to use
A bar of soap (Seriously you smell no JK, If you put a little soap on the screws as you put them in they will go in easier also reduceing your chance of spliting, use it just near the tip so you dont have to worrie about getting any extra in your fish tank.
Some smaller 1" to 1 1/4 screws for the frame
A hammer
and some small brad nailes to attach the plywood to the frame.
if you want to use some glue make sure it will not be water suluble after it sets, gorilla gule would work good dont use a lot since it will foam a bit as it setsup.

Some wood filler and sand paper for the outside to fill in the holes that the brad nails make so that it will look finished.

And then what ever kinda finish you want.

I think thats about all for tools you should need. As for cutting a straight line this actualy can be really hard i know lol. there is a few ways to go about fixing it. Use a guide something that you can handle that wolnt be flexible, could be a 2x4 or i believe thy still sell them at home depot or lowes but a long aluminum guide. if you are aveing real problems use a guide and clamp it down some how c clamps or a screw or two. If you are going to paint it screws wolnt hurt anything just a extra hole that you will have to fill in and sand down. as i have done more and more wood work i have found that drawing a line can reallly help also. But there is always one more way=) if you have a router and a fluch cutting bit you can cheat with thatbut if your jsut starting i would recomend useing finding one of the aluminum saw guides they shouldnt cost too much but they are always handy for jsut about anything. If you dose just use a 2x4 make sure you find one that is really straight or else it willl do you no good any how.

I have to run for now, ill see if i cant get you some basic plans / cut lengths to help you out a bit more latter tonight.

Back