Can't feed anemone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcdonaldjosh7

Coral!!!!
Alright, so this is getting fustrating :mad:

So heres the situation:

I will take a piece of krill and put it on the anemone...the clownfish will then remove it. So I will go in there with a toothbrush and chase him away from it.

Now, sometimes he will put the food on the anemone himself...or sometimes just leave it there. But then what happens is the Snowflake Eel comes over, and the clownfish starts freaking out and ends up knocking the food out of the anemone, and the eel eats it up.

How can I feed my anemone???

That sucks! I would think the anemone would immediately grab onto the food once it touches it! :confused:. That's what my anemone did. Slightest touch and it would grab it up. Maybe the krill isn't exciting him enough?? We use to feed ours pieces of fish and frozen squid. Maybe you can use something to cover over the anemone for few minutes till it has had a chance to get a good grab on the food. I don't know...Just a thought. :)

I feed mine pieces of squid; prawns, scallops, etc. They usually get fed when my eel doesn't eat. Shouldn't feed more than every three days, but I feed mine more like once or twice a month. They can pretty much catch what they need from the lights and water column.

Lol, scared to feed em too much. Every time they eat the get markidly larger...

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will eat when ready. I agree it might not like krill too much though.

Do you feed your tank frozen mysis or something meaty?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I had this problem a while ago. I just cut the krill up to smaller pieces each time and placed it in the anemone. My clowns didn't like the grabber stick.

Alright, so this is getting fustrating :mad:

So heres the situation:

I will take a piece of krill and put it on the anemone...the clownfish will then remove it. So I will go in there with a toothbrush and chase him away from it.

Now, sometimes he will put the food on the anemone himself...or sometimes just leave it there. But then what happens is the Snowflake Eel comes over, and the clownfish starts freaking out and ends up knocking the food out of the anemone, and the eel eats it up.

How can I feed my anemone???

What type of anemone is this? How is its overall health? (please post a pic). If its the BTA in your avatar, and it looks the same as it does in your avatar, its bleached and you definately need to be feeding it until it can grow its zoox back.

If this is the case, do what Sid suggests, feed the eel first, then feed the clowns, then feed the anemone, and chase the clownfish off with either a net, algae scraper etc until the anemone has completely swallowed the food. This can take some time, (as long as 45 minutes depending on the health of the anemone).

If the anemone is healthy overall, directly feeding it isnt necessary.

Nick

I had to use a net to keep everything away from my anemone when feeding. Also I found that it grabbed onto squid much faster than anything else. Till I offered it live food....then it wouldn't touch anything but live....keep that in mind if you try live.

Color wise it is same as in my avatar, though it definitely is much less healthier...to the point where it falls off rocks (which is why I am trying to gt it food). But with 500w of MH lighting in my 72 I'd think lighting is adequate.

I have fed the eel so much that it gets to the point where it will not eat...I will try this tomorrow night before my lights are off. Then I will work on feeding the anemone.

Just curious.....is it in high flow or something? If it is that light it isn't happy. Mine did that after I stopped feeding it....which I did when a bunch of people told me that you don't have to feed em. What they should have said was if they are used to not being fed then you don't have to feed em. Mine was fed 3 times a week and was always happy. But upgrading lights to "too much" light can trigger bleaching as well as lack of nutition....in my experience.

sorry, I have the same problem my anemone does not eat from several weeks that it opens a little, is alive but I try to give food but closed and take out ... I don't that happens.

Color wise it is same as in my avatar, though it definitely is much less healthier...to the point where it falls off rocks (which is why I am trying to gt it food). But with 500w of MH lighting in my 72 I'd think lighting is adequate.

I have fed the eel so much that it gets to the point where it will not eat...I will try this tomorrow night before my lights are off. Then I will work on feeding the anemone.

Not a good sign.
Bleached anemone's can make a recovery if fed regularly and not blasted with too much light. What causes an anemone to become bleached is the expelling of its zooxanthellae, (zoox for short) which is the photosynthetic algae inside the anemone that gives it its color. Stress of some sort causes the anemone to expell the zoox. When the zoox is expelled, the anemone can be colorless, white, or very lightly colored.
A bleached anemone is near death, and is not able to receive nutrients from light since it has no or very little zoox. Feeding them becomes very important at this stage. However, in your case the anemone is now "falling" off the rock.
This is due to one of a couple of reasons:

1...The anemone is too weak to maintain its grip on the rock's surface, and is most likely going to die.
2...The anemone is not happy with its location in the aquarium, Too much/too little light, or too much/too little current etc) and is attempting to relocate to a better spot for it.

Since we dont have a pic of the anemone or its current location, its tough to say exactly which is going on.

Nick

yeah....that's pretty much what I was saying with a bit more detail....which is good.

Back