Can't get it up!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

57reefer

I have an alkalinity question. My tank is 65gal w/ 15gal sump. I dose twice a week with 5 cap full of reef carbonate and once a week with 1t of reef builder. Both are from Seachem. I have been doing this for a month and my akl is 2 – 2.5 mEq/L. I test with Instant Ocean Akl test kit. Exp is jun-07. can you help??:confused: :(
Tom

Thanks Chris&Barb. That was very helpful. I also took a look at your web site. Very Nice. I really liked the 180. How much time do you put into maintenance?

You probably knew this was coming, but may want to consider an alternative test kit. i've had bad test kits before even before their expiration.

also, yeah.. those suggested addiitions are pretty conservative usually. I usually double it when I'm trying to adjust my levels and haven't had any problems.

Thanks Ben, My alk is 4.5 mEq/L now. started dosing 5t/day since the 10th and its up!
I used a friends test kit and it came out about the same.
Now is this a good level to stay at for a while?

What an excellent tool, Chris &/or Barb...thanks for posting that.

I am trying to use limewater for cal/alk supplementation. When the drop-down list on the tool gives "limewater (saturated)" as an possible supplement, what do they mean by saturated?

I am trying to use limewater for cal/alk supplementation. When the drop-down list on the tool gives "limewater (saturated)" as an possible supplement, what do they mean by saturated?

lime water is considered saturated when you add 2tsp per gal of Ro/Di. all that means is that the water can no longer adsorb anymore Ca/Alk

Kalk is great for maintaining Ca/Alk but not so good for adjusting low levels. you would need to add a lot to raise levels causing your Ph to rise too much and dropping your SG

Kalk is great for maintaining Ca/Alk but not so good for adjusting low levels. you would need to add a lot to raise levels causing your Ph to rise too much and dropping your SG

Ahh...good to know. I need to buy another supplement for that.

Back