cant get my temp down.....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bighitrider45

clown fish
right now my temp in my tank is around 85 degrees, and im not sure how to get it down. I think it might be my powerheads that are producing head but i need them lol so what shall i do? In my set up I have 1 seio and 3 mj 1200 and its a 20 gal. i will post pics later

What is the temperature of the room itself? It the tank in an air-conditioned room? Also, do you have any lids on the tank? Let us know :)

im not sure the temp of the room, i dont have a/c. and i dont have a lid but all my inhabitants seem to be doing fine (2 clowns, bi colored blenny, pepperment shrimp, and various zoos.

If the temperature remains stable, then the inhabitants won't be affected so much. It's big fluctuations that usually cause the problems. Have you tried using any fans for starters? You will notice you will have to top off a bit more than normal do to evaporation, but that is the easiest/quickest thing to try first. Just try a fan or two blowing across the surface of the tank. A chiller is always my favorite option for most stability and temperature control, but I'd try a fan first to see what it does :)

Nice setup btw! :)

thanks krish, lol im sure you wouldnt be saying than 3 days ago, lol i jsut recently downsized, but yeah my temp has been the same for awhile hasnt changed much but i dont want to invest in anything too expensive so i just try a fun or two. thanks krish!! oh and what puts off more heat a seio or mj

pic of old tank (empty)

lol im so embarassed

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    54.1 KB
Do you have a sump? If so you could put frozen bottles of water in the sump and let them cool things.

thanks krish, lol im sure you wouldnt be saying than 3 days ago, lol i jsut recently downsized, but yeah my temp has been the same for awhile hasnt changed much but i dont want to invest in anything too expensive so i just try a fun or two. thanks krish!! oh and what puts off more heat a seio or mj

No prob! :D As for which pump puts off more heat, couldn't say. I had 5 maxijets total running in my 24gal aquapod with a 150w HQI metal halide and was able to keep the temp stable with just one fan that ran periodically. I never really took note of any heat issues when I had my Seio's because the tank was just cycling and really wasn't a concern, but I know the temp stayed below 84 with (2) 820 Seio's in a 90 gal :)

A fan blowing over the water surface will make a big difference....as long as you are not blowing 90 deree air across it.

hmm so ive decided to take out the seio (i think 3 mj 1200 are enough in a 20 gal) and brendan when u say dont blow 90 degree air across it what does that mean?

If your room is 90º Then your fan will be blowing 90º

I belive in bigger small room fans none of this computer sized ones ! I would get the wall mart clip on's Remove any steel in front of the fans ( the rest is all plastic) and make sure it's blowing below the lights and on the surface of the water. The same goes for the sump as well if you have one.

Do you know anyone that has an infared theremometer maybe a co worker there are like $80 or so and you basically point the red beam at the pumps in the tank and it will tell you how hot they are in like 2 second's !!

Then you'll know how much of a difference if any the powerhead removal will make.

:)

Paul

ohh haha wow im special i thought u meant like a right angle by 90 degrees lol wow okay yeah my room is alot cooler than my tank lol

I have 3 250 watt halides on my 180 tank and 2 vho's and the room is 71º and the tank is 78.8º (recently added a big sump fan and it' dropped my temp 2 degrees !!

There's my proof it works and is worth it !

:)

Paul

Back