Can't get skimmer started?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bosco83

I just bought a cpr bak pak skimmer from craigslist and I can't get it to work. I set it on the back of my tank and plugged it in and it just sounds like a loud motor but won't fill the back chamber. Kinda like a filter that is not primed. I have two little hoses on it one is supposed to be the intake that you adjust for how much air goes in, and the other one is just a small 3" loop of tubing connecting from the pump to the tube that the pump connects to. I tried filling the back chambers with water but it still wouldn't start flowing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

I would open the pump up and make sure the impellar well and impellar are clean and not damaged. If there are calcium deposits that rinsing will not remove use vinegar or muriatic acid to remove them. Try getting the pump to work in the tank while it is not attached to the skimmer. If its a go, unplug and retry on the skimmer. If all else fails a new pump with the air intake parts off the old one will do the trick. You can also mesh mod a maxi-jet 1200 for use on those skimmers to greatly improve their performance.

Cool thanks I'll give that a try. I did try it in the tank with the pump seperated from the skimmer and it was pumping but it felt a little weak. I'll clean it out when I get home.

Brian

Back