Can't keep the sand clean

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

capdippe

Hi, I can't quite seem to keep the sand bed clean. I don't seem to have any out of control algae, but the sand keeps getting this red/brown slime and will not come clean. It's about 1"-1 1/2" deep. I know at times I probably over feed, so I've cut back, still no luck. Any ideas?

I have a 100gal tank with a 30gal sump, 80lbs live rock, 40lbs live sand, 4 T12 tubes (2blue 2white). The water tests are PH 8.3, Alk 9, Cal 420, Mag 1,000, ammonia 0, phos 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 2.5. these have been the numbers for quite some time, and I perform a 20gal water change every 5-7 days.

well thats cyano. increase flow point a power head towards it. also you can suck most of it out with a siphon hose.

Thanks, I'll see if flow helps. I use the siphon once a week and all I wind up doing is removing 3-4 cups of sand.

Thanks a bunch guys, I've been adding fresh sand every few weeks and mixing up the old with the new. Does Brightwell's product cause any other side effecs on the system?

remember too, that if its a newer tank, this is part of the cycle it goes through. Reduce feeding, increase flow, siphon out,stir the sand (a lot/daily), and wait it out.

Ok, I bought the tank 3 1/2 months ago. I never cycled it, just moved the tank to my place (with the water). I have made a number of changes to it within that 3 months. Does changing plumbing, moving rock, adding sand alter the enviroment enough to cause concern?

Ya, it'll probably cause some dieoff, which will trigger a small cycle. It's normal, nothing to worry about. Just part of it. : )

Good luck! Just keep at the stuff and it'll go away eventually. a month or two into setting up a 46gal, the entiire bottom of the tank was covered in cyano. It killed our snails, our sand sifter goby had a freakout, it was intense. But it went away and the tank flourished!

I like the look of sand but it's been a big pain for 8 years so I am slowly sucking it out. I wish you luck on keeping it clean. Oh and I have never found a way to clean the sand without removing atleast a little.

I could never get rid of cyano with flow, ran multiple tunze pumps in the direction and it just kept getting worse, you have to get the nutrients in check.

I could never get rid of cyano with flow, ran multiple tunze pumps in the direction and it just kept getting worse, you have to get the nutrients in check.

Absolutely correct. Flow will just move the sheet of cyano you are aiming at, the nutrients are still in the water column. While flow is good, it is a band-aid solution to a much bigger problem. Get a good skimmer and watch your feeding.

I'll admit I have tried the chemi-clean for cyano in the past and it has worked with no side effects, although the cyano came back.

Back