Carbon or not to carbon, that is my question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

diverdick

Greetings,

I am interested in peoples use of activated carbon in their SPS aquariums. I have a fairly densely packed 65 gallon display with a 20 gallon deep sand sump & skimmer. 500 watts of 14k halides & a chiller. I also use a kalkwasser reactor for make-up fed by an RO filter. All 23 pieces (mostly SPS) are doing great with lots of growth in a short period. I recently removed a cannister filter (fluval) with activated carbon in it. I really have no reason to remove it, I guess its an experiment.

Are there any opinions either way out there?

Thanks a bunch!

"Remember, everything is better when its wetter!"

I use carbon in mine and it helps keep the water clear as well as remove toxins. So far my color is good and I'm happy w/ it. Nothing wrong w/ trying it out but since your getting good growth and cloration why change a good thing, right?

I run carbon all the time. Keeps the water crystal clear and helps to mitigate the toxic soup.
I prefer using a smaller amount and change it frequently.

I agree with everyone... i think carbon is a good thing it keeps the water clear so light can penetrate the waters surface and it neutralizes all those mucus toxins released by competing sps and especially soft corals. I am all about it

You cant really use "too much". You can however use it to fast.

Don

Just a play on words here I think Don:) If you have a twenty gallon tank with a ten gallon sump and you place 2 cups of carbon in a media reactor(IMO, the only way to go), you could do some serious damage to your reef. Now if you were to use 1/4 to 1/2 a cup and change it weekly you would get optimum results from your carbon use. I'm not trying to correct you here Don, just trying say that there are some risks.:D

Just a play on words here I think Don:) If you have a twenty gallon tank with a ten gallon sump and you place 2 cups of carbon in a media reactor(IMO, the only way to go), you could do some serious damage to your reef. Now if you were to use 1/4 to 1/2 a cup and change it weekly you would get optimum results from your carbon use. I'm not trying to correct you here Don, just trying say that there are some risks.:D

I get what your saying. You can use as much as you want wether it be a 1/2 cup or a gallon as long as you step up to the end quantity and keep it changed like you stated. Just like anything else in this hobby you have to move slowly.

Don

other than light shocking your coral due to improved water clarity (which can easily be mitigated) i don't see why suddenly adding a large amount of carbon would be a problem..

Back