Carbon pellets

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

and as for carbon pellets I have them all over my tank I popped a whole in one of my mesh bags I didn't and still don't see any ill effects bio pellets I have all over my tank also again I do not see any ill effects

How would a bio pellet be bad?

Well after reading what "Biopellets" are I agree that you would not want these floating around in the aquarium because of the production of hydrogen sulphide gas they will product without proper oxygenation.

As for regular carbon it is not as harmful if at all but carbon will release what is has absorbed over time so you would not want that to remain in the water for long term either.

Well after reading what "Biopellets" are I agree that you would not want these floating around in the aquarium because of the production of hydrogen sulphide gas they will product without proper oxygenation.

As for regular carbon it is not as harmful if at all but carbon will release what is has absorbed over time so you would not want that to remain in the water for long term either.

I know it was actual carbon but will add concerning biopellets. They would not be a problem either. They will not produce enough H2S if you had a few floating around to hurt anything. They like a sand bed or any other area that produces H2S require a hypoxic zone to produce H2S.

Don

I agree! You don't want a ton of this hanging around too long releasing all it has absorbed, but I think if it was just 5 individual pellets, it wouldn't be so bad. :)

I agree! You don't want a ton of this hanging around too long releasing all it has absorbed, but I think if it was just 5 individual pellets, it wouldn't be so bad. :)

Carbon doesnt magicly release everything that it absorbed, another hobby myth. Once its full its full and will continue to cover in biofilm. A little or even quite abit of carbon dumped in wouldnt hurt anything.

Don

Carbon doesnt magicly release everything that it absorbed, another hobby myth. Once its full its full and will continue to cover in biofilm. A little or even quite abit of carbon dumped in wouldnt hurt anything.

Don

Are you saying it won't leach in time?
I think boomer said it would?

Are you saying it won't leach in time?
I think boomer said it would?

Leach what???? If you used it to absorb metals like copper or aluminum then possibly it would as it broke down. On the other hand we dont use it for that in our reefs. It would just be like rock rubble or anything else.

Don

Scooty, now that Don mentions it, I think Boomer may have said it doesn't leach. I think he said it just won't absorb anything anymore once exhausted...

Last edited:
Leach what???? If you used it to absorb metals like copper or aluminum then possibly it would as it broke down. On the other hand we dont use it for that in our reefs. It would just be like rock rubble or anything else.

Don

From what I have read, it is exactly this. For instance, if you leave it in a reactor for too long(meaning months at a time) it will lose its absorbtion value, however will become a biofilter element that good bacteria will grow on just like live rock. No harm no foul about leaving it in for a long time however there is the possible downfall of actually removing it from your biological filtration once it is established(however remote the effect may be).

As far as the biopellets go, I have read that getting pellets into your tank can actually do some harm, especially if it is a smaller system. The pellets will more than likely end up in an area of low or no flow and the possible anoxic conditions would produce the H2S.

Last edited:
As far as the biopellets go, I have read that getting pellets into your tank can actually do some harm, especially if it is a smaller system. The pellets will more than likely end up in an area of low or no flow and the possible anoxic conditions would produce the H2S.

Biopellets are really nothing more than sulfer diet for bacteria. Bacteria thrive with them just like any nitrate reactor media. To get H2S the flow would have to be so slow like that of a nitrate reactor 5 drops per second. Also it would have to be contained in a closed system like a reactor. Any nitrate reator will produce H2S even an old long tube reactor. Just throwing a few of them in an aquarium will not.

Don

Biopellets are really nothing more than sulfer diet for bacteria. Bacteria thrive with them just like any nitrate reactor media. To get H2S the flow would have to be so slow like that of a nitrate reactor 5 drops per second. Also it would have to be contained in a closed system like a reactor. Any nitrate reator will produce H2S even an old long tube reactor. Just throwing a few of them in an aquarium will not.

Don

To add to this and more, I just found out that some people actually mix the pellets in with their substrate! Apparently some companies were producing the pellets with the original intent of instructing people to do this. I don't know if I am totally sold on this yet but...it is interesting to know.

To add to this and more, I just found out that some people actually mix the pellets in with their substrate! Apparently some companies were producing the pellets with the original intent of instructing people to do this. I don't know if I am totally sold on this yet but...it is interesting to know.

I think dosing vodka would be a better solution.:)

Don

Back