Carbon Source

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Very good read, I currently do not dose any organic carbons however after reading this article it makes me think twice about it...

I really is a good read. If you ever find via computer or hard copy of that issue of Coral Magazine it cover in several articles on feeding, maintaining, and Dosing corals for a healthier tank and live stock.

M.I.A Don't worry I'll be found!

My first words are low and slow is the best way to go. I started of (because was scared) at .2ml each and split that once in the morning and once in the evening. So .3ml in the morning and the same in the evening .1ml of each. I tested my N03/P04 ever 5 days and kept a log. I increased .1ml ever two weeks till I reached the desirable N03/P04 levels and increased those as growth and livestock increased but I tested regularly and took it slow. I'm now at 1ml each daily split between two doses. So a total of 3ml 1ml vinegar 1ml vodka 1ml sugar and I've been doing it for almost 2 1/2yrs.

Would there be a difference between bio pellets and vodka/vinegar/sugar dosing? Ive been using pellets for about 5 months now. They work great on my system. Ive tried vodka with bad results.

Would there be a difference between bio pellets and vodka/vinegar/sugar dosing? Ive been using pellets for about 5 months now. They work great on my system. Ive tried vodka with bad results.

i run all four Carbon sources and i also run a Bio-Pellet Reactor which is a recycling Reactor which allows me to control my effluent out.
But to your question are they the same for most parts yes BUT what you create by the different types is a greater diversity in positive bacteria or more strands of different types. I seeded my Bio Pellet Reactor with a strain that wasn't being made from the Vodka, Vinegar, and Sugar BUT there is TO MUCH OF A GOOD THING and thats why low and slow is important. I completely CRASHED my tank in the beginning when i first started dosing the three and the main reason was because i wasn't patient. I overdosed my tank with positive bacteria had what is called a WHITE OUT (clear slime EVERYWHERE coming from EVERYTHING) Corals on STERIODS! The corals expanded so much energy that they died which shot my toxins in the tank out the window which killed 99% of all my livestock. Main causes
1) My N03/P04 weren't going down fast enough for me so i rushed it
2) i had a low stocked tank (not now) whose Bio mass was low already.
After the crash i did A Lot more reading on these and haven't had a issue since.
It's not for everyone but i figured there is a Mad Scientist like me who might want to read up and try it out.

Last edited:
Yes , No and well sort of. :) Denitrifying bacteria resides in an area of low oxygen. Bioreactors are really self feeding versions of what we used to call nitrate reactors. Then there were sulfur denitrifiers. Back then we had to feed the nitrate reactors to keep it alive but it worked on the same principle as controlling the effluent on todays bio pellet reactors. When we reduce the effluent flow to a certain point we start loosing oxygen and create an environment that is suitable for denitrifying bacteria.
Dosing on the other hand is indiscriminate it feeds whatever can catch the extra carbon. So basically it feeds denitrifying and every other bacteria wether you want it to or not. This is where it gets a little dangerous. As you feed the bacteria the populations rise and as you starve the bacteria the populations fall.
Each method has its own merits and each has its own drawbacks. So depending on how you look at it dosing is less productive and more dangerous. But running any low 02 reactor has its own dangers like very low ph.

Learn about anaerobic and aerobic and how they differ and you can get a much better understand of whats happening in your reef tank.

Don

Yes , No and well sort of. :) Denitrifying bacteria resides in an area of low oxygen. Bioreactors are really self feeding versions of what we used to call nitrate reactors. Then there were sulfur denitrifiers. Back then we had to feed the nitrate reactors to keep it alive but it worked on the same principle as controlling the effluent on todays bio pellet reactors. When we reduce the effluent flow to a certain point we start loosing oxygen and create an environment that is suitable for denitrifying bacteria.
Dosing on the other hand is indiscriminate it feeds whatever can catch the extra carbon. So basically it feeds denitrifying and every other bacteria wether you want it to or not. This is where it gets a little dangerous. As you feed the bacteria the populations rise and as you starve the bacteria the populations fall.
Each method has its own merits and each has its own drawbacks. So depending on how you look at it dosing is less productive and more dangerous. But running any low 02 reactor has its own dangers like very low ph.

Learn about anaerobic and aerobic and how they differ and you can get a much better understand of whats happening in your reef tank.

Don

+1 and the how and what Bio-Pellets are made from but in that Sept/Oct 2010 Coral Magazine it goes into depth with the points you brought out.

So DonW and NC2WA a question?
I've been trying to wrap my head around Ozone (ORP) devices and what they do as for a tank and it seems in some area the same.
I been going through this read at: Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Can one of you two or both explain if Organic Carbon and ORP are the exactly the same, Totally different, or close but how?

Totally different. If you feed your bacteria with carbon and send it trough an ozone reactor (skimmer) the o3 is going to kill it.
BUT you can run o3 on a system that you are dosing because the bacteria that we are feeding are never going to make their way to the o3 anyway.

Don

Ok I got into conversation with Mojo when he came the house awhile back been research ORP ever since because a know a FEW who use it buts all the info gets pretty technical like running a Ca Reactor gets but then you find out its not that hard if explained simply.
I will continue on the ORP side thank you.

I was also experimenting with this
du7u8aje.jpg

A Sulfur Denitrator works pretty good but finding the SWEET spot was at times hard.

Back