Caribsea special grade reef sand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

APch1ll3n

I know this subject have come up before but here it goes again.

I just purchase 5 bags of 40lb Aragonite Special Grade Reef sand and it looks brown. I thought it suppose to look more white? Can any1 give me more insight on this? I know some1 out there have used this sand. If its going to look brown than I am going to return it. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a picture of it. Looks more brown.. Or is it like that and looks white under halides?
Aragonite sand.jpg

its the same sand i have used. it looks a lil more white under halides. id post a picture< but my sand looks like crap (bad bulbs at the moment). I like the way it looks when its clean though. Rinse real good!

its the same sand i have used. it looks a lil more white under halides. id post a picture< but my sand looks like crap (bad bulbs at the moment). I like the way it looks when its clean though. Rinse real good!

+1

Once you rinse it, rinse it again.

I just put some of that sand in my tank last week. Here's a pic from my cell phone.sand.jpg

And I second mfinn on rinse, rinse, rinse...and then rinse one more time.

I thought the same thing when I got mine. Once you rinse it thoroughly it will be whiter in the tank, just not bright white like oolite.

Was planning for a deep sand bed. Probably buy 5 bags of ooglite and mix it in with the 5 special reef sand I have currently. Hope that helps...

Yes I have and for a deep sand bed that's about 4". I also read some have a 2-3 inch sand bed with no prob. Just don't disturb the sand bed. So there are always pro's and con's. I like the look of white sand so that's what I am aiming for. With the 10 bags of sand I thinkknit be about a 3 inch sand bed

I have a sand bed of oolite that is only 1/2" to an inch at the most. I wanted a sand bed but didn't like the deep sand bed because you start seeing the black bands of detrius start layering. I wanted to make sure I didn't see that so I kept the level below the plastic frame of the tank. My snails and fighting conch keep it stirred up.

Exactly what I was thinking too. But the white sand makes everything pop. So I wanted a descent sand bed for the critters. Might buy 5 ooglite and see how can I mix it for a nice sand bed. From my understanding as long as you don't stir all of the sand bed it will be ok while cleaning.

From what I have read is that you don't let the sandbed sit for awhile and then you stir it up causing it to release toxins. I really like the oolite, you just have to know that even after you rinse it, it will still cause a cloud for a little while. Once it has settled it still doesn't stir up to bad and it gives you that bright white color. Sand sifting gobies really can cause a mess, they get the sand all over your corals. If you are going to mix it with the Argonite Special Blend that should control it more.

Well thanks N1 and every1 else for all the reply's. Hope everything works out. Now is finding Ooglite sand that is available.

Well thanks N1 and every1 else for all the reply's. Hope everything works out. Now is finding Ooglite sand that is available.

I got mine from Drs. Foster& Smith, cheap, available. amd you only have to buy $49.00 worth for free shipping. You get it jn about a week.

Back