Carlos 60 gallon new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What do you guys think of this Swing Check Valve to prevent back siphoning?

FT9044.jpg

That's strange :confused: I've never heard of carbon doing that...Why not try removing the carbon and see what happens. Very strange...

I have these little things all over the surface of the water and corners in my tank. Any idea what they are?

Not sure Carlos, but take a look at this thread below. The person needed an ID and it almost looks the same (atleast same shape)
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23373

1 month already, tested my water Today, what do you guys think?

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 100
pH 8.0
Salinity 1026
PPT 35
Temp 79.2 F

Getting there Carlos!:)...I see you nitrite dropped, but your ammonia hasn't budged. I would think your ammonia would have dropped off by now though. Are you using Salifert test kits?:)

LOL! That's fine it didn't go too high. It means you had some goo nitrifying bacteria already present in your rock to keep it down I guess. It should work itself off real soon though so no worries:)

LOL! That's fine it didn't go too high. It means you had some goo nitrifying bacteria already present in your rock to keep it down I guess. It should work itself off real soon though so no worries:)

I hope so Krish... a few more questions... :confused:

- I'm running my lights 3 hours daily, should I increase my photo period?

- I know I asked this already but I would like to know what to get as my cleaning crew?

- At what point am I suppose to start checking my alk and calcium?

If you wanted to increase your photoperiod, you could IMO. I think I went to 7 hours a day by 4-6 weeks in from start up. Some people differ, but I guess it is a personal opinion there. As for a cleanup crew, that too is a personal opinion. Some people like hermit crabs like the blue legged hermits, some like snails like turbo snails etc and some like to have both. I personally just got a few snails and called it a day:p Where your calcium and alk is concerned, I wouldn't worry as much just yet about them, but you can test now if you wanted. They aren't needed to be in check for cycling purposes though:)

Your tank and setup looks really nice Carlos!
The last picture of your skimmer looks pretty clean. Is it still working well for you?
As for your lighting duration, try to fight the urge to keep them on longer. Keep it short until your tank has cycled and able to get a clean up crew in there. Having the lights on longer at this point might make the diatom situation worse so save your bulb life for when you finally have corals in there. :)

Your tank and setup looks really nice Carlos!
The last picture of your skimmer looks pretty clean. Is it still working well for you?
As for your lighting duration, try to fight the urge to keep them on longer. Keep it short until your tank has cycled and able to get a clean up crew in there. Having the lights on longer at this point might make the diatom situation worse so save your bulb life for when you finally have corals in there. :)

Thanks for your compliments Rob. I think I'm going to wait a little longer to extend my photoperiod since I don't really want to make the diatom problem any worse.

Regarding my skimmer, I took that picture after I had just cleaned up the cup, that's why it looks so clean, but yes, still works like a charm.

By the way this week and I got a chance to install my Tunze Osmolator and I'm loving that thing!

Here's a picture I took Today (4 weeks already!) :p

4weekue5.jpg

Regarding my skimmer, I took that picture after I had just cleaned up the cup, that's why it looks so clean, but yes, still works like a charm.
I figured so that you had just recently cleaned it. And good for you for keeping it clean like that! Nice looking pic as well! :)

Thank you guys. Did you notice that when I have my lights on, the background of the tank looks almost black, even though is the same color as the overflow? I was very disappointed when I noticed that, oh well... :oops:

By the way, I'm getting some white spots on the rock and some long hair algae too. Is that ok?

Back