Carlos 60 gallon new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

This past couple of days have been bittersweet. Yesterday I got my first sps coral frags. I got some Red Montipora, Green Montipora and a very beautiful Pink Birdsnest.

Here's some pictures:

On the other hand, I had to put Gramma to sleep Today. It went down the hill in the past week so I had to put an end to it. I can't believe how hard it was. :(

Last edited:
By the way, I checked my parameters this afternoon and it looks like Alk and Calcium are coming down after the corals were introduced.

Alk 8.0
Calcium 370

They won't suck it dry that fast man, LOL your swinging from 480, 410 to 370 in two days & just three frags?

WOW so after we posted about your parms, you went out & got some?
cool BTW! Congrats

LOL yeah I did, there was a big marine convention event this past weekend in Southern California and those parameters were like my green light.

As I mentioned Yesterday, please ignore the parameters I posted last week because it looks like I was not reading them properly. However Calcium came down from 410 to 370 in a little over 24 hours.

Last edited:
Carlos If your using the Saliflert kits make sure your doing the high resolution test, I would test it again in 24 hours & then start dripping kalk, or the two part system but keep testing & make sure it is right, don't try to bring it up all at once & shoot for a target range, not a dead on number.

I did a water change Today but I will re test Tomorrow.

I thinking on getting a Geo Kalk Reactor once the Calcium demand increases but for now I want to get the hang of dosing with 2 parts additives.

kalk_re.jpg

Since I had such a bad experience with the last fishes I got from a LFS, I decided to order from Live Aquaria this time.

Check out my new Purple Firefish.

Damn it!

Seriously what are the chances of getting 5 out 5 sick fishes in a row?

Firefish got ich too, I just can't believe my luck! :mad:

VERY discouraging for sure...

Last edited:
Carlos, whomever your getting them from probably isn't the best source for fish, you may have to resort to ordering online, Hey at least you QT'ed him, that is worth a lot, first hand!;) Hang in there man, It will get better!:)

My first pair of Perculas got Brook, those I got from a local reseller, fortunately I was able to save them with Formalin baths.

Later I got a Sunburst Anthias and a Royal Gramma from a LFS, both got ich, Sunburst died in a couple of days and I had to put down the Gramma last week since it never recoved from the ich with the Hyposalinity treatment.

Yesterday I got the Purple Firefish from liveaquaria.com and I just noticed some white spots in its fins.

Last edited:
Well I tell you one thing, once you get your tank stocked, you will be experienced In treating fish successfully. Look at what you have now compared to 6 months ago, I'd say you came a long way & the thing about all this waiting will hopefully be the Lack of long term problems, which you will be glad If you ever had to deal with a tank full & It isn't doing well or having an outbreak.

I agree man...If it's not one thing it's another, but looking at things from a positive stand point, you are learning a lot through it all, but not something anyone wants to go through in any event. I hope thimngs make a turn for the better for you Carlos :)

Back