Carlos 60 gallon new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Updates

I have been playing with my Alk and Calcium parameters this week, dosing B-ionic. So far, it appears that if I keep my Alk around 10 dKH, my pH swing is not that big as it used to be. Calcium levels require little dosing to keep steady around 420.

From what I have seen, the refugium is not doing much about the pH yet, I'm thinking is because I don't have enough Cheato yet but hopefully it will be full of it in a couple of months and probably will do a better job then.

The new skimmer is doing better than the Octopus but since I am feeding it directly from the overflow, I'm having some air distubring the bubble production which means that I may need to re-do my drain plumbing soon.

By the way, I am very impressed by how well the UV sterilizer works. I have it with very low flow and my water have never been this clear, 2 weeks after the last water change.

The new Royal Gramma that I have in the QT is doing great, this week will be a month since I got it so I will probably have it in the main tank soon.

Lastly I added a Reef Frontiers banner to my webserver, check it out: www.aquarium.dnsalias.com

That's all for now. :)

Last edited:
Hey Carlos!!! Sounds like things are going pretty good for you and everything should iron out as time progresses (just like the algae did;) ). Where the UV sterilizer is concerned, be careful that the flow isn't too slow. They say that the rate of the flow passing over the UV light will determine what all it "kills off" in the water so make sure the flow matches what you are trying to accomplish :)

that's good dood :) .
how are your clowns doing? i think i was reading in RC that they're still fighting? did you find out why or what was going on ? :) .

Gaby, I think the clowns are doing better. The female has not been bothering the little guy these past few days and I'm hoping it will stay that way.

Thanks for asking! by the way, how is your tank doing?

I am concerned about my pH. Since it's getting cold these days and obviously I have been keeping the windows closed, the pH swing has gone worse. Right now it's swinging from 7.65 to 8.35 and that can't be good, especially since I am trying to keep SPS corals.

Once the lights turn off, it starts going down super fast even with the refugium's light running.

What should I do? Please help! :(

Last edited:
usually people have more ph problems during the winter, I wouldn't panic about the swings as long as your not dipping really really low.

Wow, it's been a while since my last post. Believe it or not my tank will be 1 year old next week. So far all I got is my pair of Perculas, a Royal Gramma, a Purple Firefish and a few SPS frags.

I will post some pictures soon! :)

I finally got a chance to take a picture of the tank Tonight. Not the greatest but you get the idea of what the tank looks like these days.

00ih2.jpg

So far I have a couple of Perculas, Royal Gramma, Purple Firefish and my new espectacular Sunburst Anthias which I am in love with. At the moment I have very cute Banggai Cardinal in the QT. As you can see I also have a few SPS frags all over.

Anyway, what do you think?

Success, I think all the trials came at a cost but now it shows by the quality of your tank Looks great!

Thanks a lot guys!

I will be upgrading my lighting from 4 to 6 T5 bulbs soon so that I can have more SPS corals and a clam to make the wife happy.

Right now I am over half way through in my fish list. I still plan to get a Neon Goby, Carpenter or McCosker flasher wrasse and maybe a Blue Green Chromis.

Funny you say that about your wife, my wife said the other day she'd like to see a clam in the tank!:rolleyes:

Wow!! I just have to say I spent the day reading your thread and I have learned sooo much. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all there replies. I will be starting my 90 gallon shortly and perhaps I will make a thread similar to this. Great job Carlos!!

Wow!! I just have to say I spent the day reading your thread and I have learned sooo much. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all there replies. I will be starting my 90 gallon shortly and perhaps I will make a thread similar to this. Great job Carlos!!

Thanks a lot for your kind words. Sorry I didn't answer before, I have been away from the forums for a while. Anyway, I'm glad my thread is helping a fellow reefer, I was very lucky to have these guys guiding me through the whole process, they are just Awesome! so welcome to the froum and I wish you the best of luck with your tank.

Last edited:
Guys, I am sorry I haven't been updating this lately, I've been super busy these days with work and school.

The next upgrade to the tank will be the powerheads. I will be switching from my Koralias to Tunze Nanostream 6055 with the controller so that I can create better and more natural currents and maybe even waves.

I need to add some more sand to my tank because I have lost some while cleaning the tank in the past year. I was wondering what would be the best way to do it?

Back