Carpet surfing survivor! What to do?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gordonious

I woke up this morning after finally transferring a snow flake moray eel to a preventative qt tank. It was in a tank when a sick and diseased fish died and it was recommended I kept it in a fishless system for a while. As you can tell from the title I found it on the floor. It wasn't moving or breathing at all and didn't move when I first started to try to pick it up.(behind a cabinet with my glove. As I finally got a grip on it and started to slide it it moved.

I put it back in the tank, put a better lid on it and it is alive. What should I do now? Should I keep the tank at normal conditions? Lower temp? I am definitely leaving the lights off for a while. Perhaps put some kind of stress coat in there?(is there a type that is safe for this type of eel?)

Jon

Normal conditions. They have a really thick slikme coat. I had one carpet surf for over 5 hours and it is still alive. They are really tough.

the fish will be fine, you don't have to do anything special but i'd recomend covering your tank with something, so the fish doesn't go jumping again... i got egg crate on my tank and even though i haven't had a experience like that ... egg crate can take care of the jumpers :) .

Helping the eel to repair its coat is not a bad idea. It may not be absolutely necessary, but it is worth doing.

Pro Tech Coat Marine and StressGuard may be used as a temporary mucus layer, or to help the fish repair its mucous layer, after such an event.

Keep the lights low for a while, hold water conditions steady and near perfect if you can. If the eel was eating well and fairly well cared for prior to this event, it should pull through. :)

Funny you said egg create. I spent a good deal of time making an egg create lid at 2am last night because I couldn't find any lids that fit the tank. It jumped through the egg create. I thought it might be skinny enough to fit, but the water was low and it had to jump straight through a hole and get enough of its body through to hoist him self up, then wiggle around with out falling back in another hole and down the back.... That is what he did. Must have been like mission impossible. Currently I have some oversized and undersized glass lids layered on top of the egg create.

Back