Cat Litter

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

I have a plastic bottle that was used for a clay based cat litter with deoderant. What do I need to this to able to use it for Kalk drip container?

rinse the heck out of it til the smell is gone and you will be fine. A little vinegar OR bleach will help

A funny little story...kinda

A few years ago when i had a 46 gallon tank i used to use one of those 3 gallon plastic cat litter bottles for my water changes. I was being kind of absentminded and noticed when i poured the water in that it had all these white chunks in it i didnt notice when mixing becasue of course there is just a small opening in the top of the bottle. Then of course i noticed the smell.

What happened is my wife put a new nearly empty cat litter bottle next to the fish stuff in the garage so i mixed asw on top of the litter and ended up dumping several ounces of scented kitty litter into the tank. It was eerywhere. I netted what i could out and ran some carbon and didnt lose anything.....so it ended up being funny and i didnt have to beat her for it. j/k :)

Last edited:
Fly Guy, you do realize that cats hate water right???!!! They won't dive in your tank to use the litter!!! lol

I'm sure there are 2 thoughts on using these containers. Some would recommend you throw away the containers and use something else...due to the deorderizer. It may be a chemical that you're unable to remove no matter how many times you rinse it. However, I think if you were to rinse the heck out of it...then bleach the heck out of it...then vinegar the heck out of it...then rinse the heck out of it again, you'd probably be safe. WOW...that's a heck of a lot of "heck"s.

Fly Guy, you do realize that cats hate water right???!!! They won't dive in your tank to use the litter!!! lol

that's a heck of a lot of "heck"s.

heck...ive got a 25 lb cat that rides down a class 5 river in my driftboat with me and will willingly stand in 4" of water to let me give him a bath. ;)

sorry, that was more than a little OT

lol

Back