Catching Shrimp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bg3489

How on earth do I go about catching the 3 or 4 peppermint shirmps I'm looking to get outve my tank!!!

The only way I can think of besides tearing the tank down would be with a fish trap. You'll have to be patient though.

your chances are better if you do it at night after the lights are off then if you look closely you might actually be able to see him and get an idea of where he is...I got one for my 20 gal. a few weeks ago and finally I saw him just yesterday I went to check my tank out after the lighs had already turned off....I thought he had died.......

I waited last night till the lights had been off for a few hours and tried to sneak up on them. I even used a flashlight quickly just to get an idea of where they were and then tried to grab em. I swear to god they vanish faster than I can blink my eye... hahaa it looks liek it'll be months before I even grab one out of there.

Add a huma huma or a clown trigger. ;) Honestly the quickest way will be take out all of the rock and chase them around.

Fish trap. That's how I caught mine. Chased the little sucker around for a week using all sorts of different plans and food loaded nets with no luck. Finally decided to give the trap a try and caught him in 10 minutes, no joke.

Take a 2 liter bottle and cut it about 1/3 of the way down. Place a few small rocks into the lower portion (to use as weights), then invert the top portion, place it into the lower portion, and secure it with tie downs or similar. After the lights are out, and at a time when the rest of the room around the tank will be quiet and dark, load the trap with krill and put it into the tank near an area where the shrimp congregate. They'll go into the trap to eat, but will have a difficult time getting back out and you can pull the trap out shrimp and all. Just make sure that they can't reach the krill without actually entering the inverted opening of the bottle. You should be catching them in no time.

coke bottle trap....easy to make and works every time....

Get a 1 liter plastic bottle of Coke, the hourglass shaped one. After the bottle is empty ( I recommend rum to help empty it :-D ) rinse it out well and remove the label. Then use a utility knife to cut the top off the bottle, about 3/4 of the way up, or about 1/2 inch above where the bottle is at its widest before it begins to narrow into the hourglass shape. Poke a few small holes in the lower part of the bottle. Then put a cube of frozen food in the lower part, and insert the top part inverted into the lower part so that the opening you drink out of is facing the bottom of the bottle. Put this in your tank and wait. (usually overnight) It works like a lobster trap, he'll go in after the food, but he won't be able to get back out. this simple, cheap trap has always worked for me. It will also work with those nasty little hairy hitchiker crabs that came on your LR you are not too sure if you want in your tank. I have even used it to catch damsels....they can get back out, so it requires your atttendance to be successful catching damsels.

MikeS

Back