Center Brace and Single 150w MH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have heard people cuting out the center brace on 46 gallon bow fronts so they can run a metal halide over the center. Your thoughts about this? It seems like a bad idea, it is there for support.

Get a piece of clear acrylic cut to the length of the cross member to the outside edge. Drill holes thru the acrylic and the black frame of the tank. Insert acrylic dowels thru both pieces. Glue with acrylic glue. Works great. Do this with the tank level lowered or empty. Empty is best.

I had mine crack when the tank was full and the top front of the glass pressed out 1/2 inch. If you remove it completely you will have a flood!!!!!!!

Do you have a Tap plastic near you? By a strip of clear acrylic about 15 inches x 2 1/2 inches and 3/8 inch or 1/4 inch thick.

I would go with the T5's on that tank. A single halide does not spread very well to 36 inches. You will have a very dark ends of the tank with the single halide as well as the problems with the bracing.

Kim

hate the center braces just for this reason, love the euro design. i wouldn't try to remove it but instead maybe get lights for each side. JMO

Ok here's my 2cents. If you want to use the halide, you can remove the center brace and replace it with two braces, one on each side of your light (assuming it's centered). Just put them a couple inches to each side, and I would use clear acrylic so any light that does shine to the sides still can penetrate the acrylic and shine through. I like mmkeeper's idea of using acrylic dowels, no metal screws or nuts and bolts. Good luck with your decision!!

Back