Chad's 125g rebuild

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chadmace

Reef Tarded
Here was the first go around. Now that I’ve had the time to get things going here is a little on the rebuild:

One of the major annoyances I had with my original set-up stemmed from the belief that my live rock was fully cured as indicated by the LFS that sold it to me. After the tank was set-up it turned into a constant hunt for the next crab, or trying to catch that elusive 4ft ribbon worm. Once my tank was taken down my live rock was scrubbed, boiled, and put into a Rubbermaid container with heat and flow to cure for approximately 1 year. Then I moved everything over to a 150 gallon trough back in March for the last step of the process. So now I have pest free rock that has been curing for quite some time now.

LiverockCuring.jpg

The inside of the canopy had some water damage. The canopy and stand hardware was rusting. So I painted the inside of the canopy and stand using several layers of Killz primer, and latex paint. I sealed all corners with silicone. I also replaced all hardware.

Canopy Before:
CanopyBefore.jpg

Canopy After:
CanopyAfter.jpg

Stand After:
StandInside.jpg

My previous 125 had corner overflows which I didn’t live very much. The tank also had seen better days. I purchased a duel mega-flow tank from Barrier and painted the back with latex paint. I notice people ask on here a lot on painting their tank. So assuming they can use the search button: 1. Clean the surface you want to paint with rubbing alcohol 2. Mask off whatever you don’t want paint on (Frog tape is awesome) 3. Paint, several layers if need be. (As mentioned previously I used latex paint and a brush. Mainly because my tank was inside the house and I didn’t want to use an aerosol can.) If you ever sell the tank the stuff can be pulled off. Anything that sticks can be removed with a utility knife blade.

Frog Tape (Seen the stuff on DIY Network. It is all it is cracked up to be.)
FrogTape.jpg

Painted:
PaintedBack.jpg

Tank on Stand:
EmptyTank.jpg

I picked up a 55 gal tank for my sump. Purchased glass baffles so I would have a baffle blow out on me like I had in the past using acrylic. I was surprised how cheap the ¼ thick glass was.
SumpBaffles.jpg

Left side of sump in tank
SumpLeft.jpg

Right side of sump in tank
SumpRight.jpg

My top of the line filter sock holders (PVC hangers zip tied to the pipe. An under $1 solution)
FilterSockMounts.jpg

I rinsed my sand thoroughly before putting it in the tank. (I had absolutely no murky water once filled.)
RinseSand.jpg

Continued...

I put the sand in the tank using a strainer so I was putting as little water as possible in the tank with the sand. Previously I used sugar sized oolictic sand but it was such a pain to get it to stay in place. This time I used Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand.
SandTank.jpg

Time to turn on the fire hose to fill this bad boy up:
Water.jpg

My Live rock tank:
TankRock.jpg

Getting the Skimmer fired up:
SkimmerStarted.jpg

There are still a few things I need to pick up before I can move forward with stocking the tank. Once I have my new lights & controller I should be good to go. I’ll be getting my calcium reactor up and running, and looking to upgrade my power heads to Vortech pumps soon. Overall it is nice to have this thing filled with water again.

ya looks great, i love the vortech pumps they are great, i really also the the octopus powerheads for the price they are really great as well and shipping is super fast got mine at preimiumaqatics, although the flow is not controllable like the vortech ones. cant wait to see it once its finished looks great so far. What lights are you going with?

Wow, your new system is looking very good! what you might need now is a refugium. will be a great reef in a near future.
Thanks again for the sweet deal on the old one back there...

@jgraeff - I will be running 3 250 Watt Reeflux 12ks to begin with. I ordered the bulbs at a Barrier's sale this past weekend. I also have an Ice Cap 660 ballast and will be running two 60" Super Attinics once i order the bulbs.

I just got my Reef Keeper Lite (Level 3) yesterday and have been busy getting that set-up while watching the Husky game. Can't really beat a controller for that price. Especially since I would need something to control my heaters/chiller and monitor PH for the calcium reactor. This time next weekend I should have the few fish I have in my 40 breeder moved over to their new home. Then I can begin taking that down.

Back