Chaeto blanching

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ocean Drive

Italian Reefkeeper
Ciao,
I have a little tank dedicate to algae only. In the water there are Botryocladia uvaria, Caulerpa serrulata, Gracilaria sp. (no ID sp. at moment), Gracilaria textorii and Chaetomorpha. Sometime I dose Iron for red algae. Chaetomorpha blanching now. What do you think about this blanching? Is possible Iron the cause of it?

I have not had this problem of my Chaeto blanching on me... so am going to follow along with your post and learn along with you, and give it a "bump" at the same time.

I am assuming that you mean bleaching? It probably does not like the light that you are feeding it. Have you tried the cheap spot light from home depot that has a coiled pc bulb inside? They work really well, especially on chaeto.

I'm not sure there is a Home Depot in Italy.

By the way Tom... I still am growing the Chaeto that I got from you, ohhhh, about 2 years ago now? Can't even begin to guess how many people over here on my side of the pond also have some as well. *smile*

buongiorno, OD :)

The two big concerns here are the noxious exudates form competitive species (the Caulerpa is brutal in this regard... algae are some of the most chemically aggressive organisms in the sea)...

also, most folks underestimate the amount of light needed long term to keep Chaetomorpha and most any algae. Use 5 watts per gallon on the low end (10 watt sper gallon i sbetter)... more in tanks with competing/shading. algae species.

Please tell us if you use carbon or ozone and what you water change schedule is like?

My cheato that is up about 2" from a Par 39 "home depot" light bleachs. But it still grows like crazy (about a gallon compacted every month or two), so I just let it be. The deeper cheato stays the dark green. I thought initially it was due to all the bubbles that collect on it from my overflow, but then thought maybe being so near the light. Not sure which correlation is the cause.
-chris

I'm using a light at 6.500°K with ratio 1watt/1 liter. No ozone, no active carbon, only a small filter for NO2 and open Venturi on filter surface to obtain NO3. sametine I dose liquid Iron.
Caulerpa serrulata is nearly attacked to Chaetomorpha and Caulerpa is brown on the tip of each leaf. Probably it depends by Caulerpicina or Caulerpinina toxins (??)
Grazie ;)

Back