Chaeto

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

smitty

I'm new to the world of sumps & chaeto. I put a fist sized clump in my sump & it just sank to the bottom & sat on the sand. I assume this is not the way it should be correct? I then added a K-nano powerhead to the return section. It got it floating but not tumbling (it snags on the filter sock & it prevents it from tumbling) however I am getting good flow since the return section is only about 5 working gals (it's on a BC29 & is under the stock stand) I have one of those clip on lights with a metal reflector & a 5600K bulb that I run on opposite times of my display lights. Does it need to be tumbling or is strong flow ok?

Thanks Krish, I was always under the assumption it needed to be tumbling to be effective. That's what I get for thinking again!

Thanks Krish, I was always under the assumption it needed to be tumbling to be effective. That's what I get for thinking again!

Haha! Well, there are are arguments for and against it. Anthony Calfo pushes the idea of it tumbling while others differ. Once the ball is growing for you by sucking up nutrients then it's serving its purpose. :)

My chaeto doesn't tumble...the ball is too big. It does grow like a weed. Time to thin it out a bit.

I agree with above. Tumbling is probably ideal, but definitely not necessary to make this stuff grow. It will still grow well, but give it as much flow as you can.

Back