Chaetomorpha question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bapski

i have a 29 gallon fuge with the chaeto on it. just noticed some whitish thing growing on it. does anyone know if this is something normal or something i have to be worry about?

fuge is about 2 months old btw.

will try to get pics if needed.

thanks.

White is the color Chaeto turns when it dies. From my experience, portions that have turned white can not revive.

While I havent proven it scientifically, I have reason to belive that the algae has purged back all the nutrients it may have absorbed when it turns clear/white. This is not a good thing.

In experimenting with 10k bulbs (granted K-value is a VERY poor indicator if the bulb has algae useful wavelegnths or not), chaeto would sorta exist, with lots of clear spots (which I belive is dead chaeto).

PAR seems to be irrelivant to algae growth. I made a setup I thought would be slick with 6.5k bulbs that put out huge amounts of light onto the algae. The algae just turned clear and died slowly, exactly the same way it dies in my tests where I keep it in the dark.

Get proper lighting.

Just for clarification....sponges can grow on macroalgae...and this includes chaetomorpha.

Can what you are seeing be pineapple cone sponges? Is it actually part of the algae itself, or just an external growth of something else?

Photo?

Best,
Ilham

thanks elmo.. you kinda gave me something nice to think about. ill take pictures when i come back from work. was too lazy yesterday.

here is the pic of the chaeto in question. lower right corner please.

100_3694.jpg

MarineTeng said:
i use common energy saver compact fluorescent lights 26w from like homedepot, i get good growth wiht it

would you be able to provide me a link so i can probably see if i can get it from my local HD too? thanks

s7s.JPG

just one like this, this may be a different wattage pictured but it should provide the right idea, just a common house bulb

Your white kinda looks like sponge? A good thing!

It looks like your macro is growing good. The C racemosa might like a bit more light, though...

Back