Changing filtration

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mguillor

I'm switching froma wet/dry setup which has been established for about a year to a large sump refugium setup.Looking for any suggestions as to go about it such as removing bio balls from wet/dry etc.

Are you just removing the bioballs and using that as your sump? If so I would removing them slowly over a short period of time.

^^^ I agree...Remove them slowly over a period of time to allow your tank to adjust, otherwise if you removed them all one time, you may experience a shock to your biological filtration system :)

Changing complete filter. Could I use the existing bio balls sumereged in the new setup or remove them a little at a time until all are remved then setup the refugium.

If you are changing complete sumps, just do it and cut down on your feeding. Check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level a couple of time a day. Have new saltwater ready to do water changes if you get increases in any of the tests.

i think he ment... slowly over a long time...

slowly over a short time defeats it self

75 gal with about 90lbs of live rock.Also will be running skimmer in sump.Also would live rock rubble be better than sand for the fuge.

I'd take out a 1/3 of the bio balls, wait a week take out 1/3, etc.
As long as the live rock is already in the system.

i would leave the fuge BB... and do some cheto.... rubble and sand will catch detrius.

Back