changing out live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

10gnano

The minimalist scape was great for the first couple years, but wasn't the best idea for the long run. I'm running the idea around of replacing my live rock with a new scape that offers more room for corals. It would also be nice to get rid of a few corals I have in the tank that have encrusted all over my rocks that I no longer want or are becoming a nuisance to other corals. I know I need to use live rock for this as do not want to start a new cycle period. If I remove all of my current rock and replace it with live rock will this cause any issues? I really do not want a mini cycle to occur and potentially kill any corals. My thought is to get dry rock to form the scape I'm looking for and seed it with some of my current live rock for a couple of months. Would this work? Does anybody have any experience on this? Any advice is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

If you get dry rock you would want to seed it for a while with some already cured rock, either existing rock or some cured stuff from you LFS. I would suggest treating it as if you were cycling a tank and just check water parameters. Is there a reason why you dont want to get cured LR from the LFS I know of alot of places in Seattle with a good supply. Other than of course being a little on the spendy side.

Back