Changing over to a different tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefWantabe

Hi,

First time post so hopefully I am in the right place.

I have a 75 gallon reef tank that I recently upgraded a couple days ago but now the 75 gallon tank needs seam work that I did not catch when I set it all up. (Can I use GE Caulk?)

My question is, is it safe to set my 65 gallon tank back up until I can seal the 75 gallon tank? That would be 3 tear-downs in a week. Will the biological system be destroyed by so much change in a short period of time? I have kept all the water and sand so I would not destroy that.

I have 80 lbs of live rock, some sps corals a few damsels and a couple percula clowns with anemones. I am running MH and CF, a protein skimmer and 4 powerheads for flow.

Thank you for the advice in advance.

ReefWantaBe

Other than the added stress you should be fine keeping all water and live rock the same. Clowns and Damsels are quite hardy/tolerant. Be carefull as to which silicone you use it needs to be 100% silicone without any anti fungi/mold addatives and will state Aquarium-Safe on the label.

Todd

Thanks Todd,

I was told to find at Home Depot GE5000 series. Its for glass and doors and its clear. Is this ok?

GE silicone I &II (5000 series) each have chemical additives. They make only one aqauarium sdafe and it is labeled as such. There are MANY other brands that are safe.
Perfecto, DAP, DOW, Penplex, etc etc. Make sure label says "aquarium safe"

Did GE change their formula recently then? I built my sump with GE I around five years ago and haven't had any issues. I have also used more of it recently and still no problems. I know it used to be the thing that everyone used. Did they change something?

Again why is GE silicone a no now? If you look it up on the web there are alot of people that have used it without problem. I am not trying to argue just trying to find out if I need to switch from what I have been using.

I've used GE silicone, but there is a certain one you don't want to use. I think it is the one with mildew inhibitor or something like that you want to avoid. I'll ask Scooty to chime in. He knows which one it is. As Derrick suggested though, the stuff from Petco etc made for aquariums is the safest bet where you don't have to second guess it. :)

BTW, Welcome to RF!! :D.

You don't want to use the GE II it has the mold inhibitors in it. The stuff I use is GE I Window, Door, Attic, Basement 100% silicone.

GE also makes a 100% silicone that dont have any of the mold inhibitors in it. Just read the fine print or get the so called aquarium silicone and pay twice as much just for the extra print on the lable.

It's a area that is so vital to be right. Why even risk a total disaster when it's only a few bucks.

Back