changing to live sand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltwater newbe

sailfin
i want to change my crushed coral to a LSB
is this possible to do without having to cycle my tank
over again?:confused:
i have 2 yellow tangs ,1 sailfin,1 flame scallop,2 4stripe damsels 1 blue damsel 1 domino damsel and 1 CBS
I dont have another tank so transfering them to another
tank is not an option:exclaim:

Yes. remove the cc in phases and add the sand the same way. Noticed you are in NC. I have over a ton of aragonite sand in storage if you need some.
PS slow down on the fish. What size is the tank?

What other biological filtration do you have? Live rock? Biomedia in a filter?
You could do it, but since your tank is so new and you've got a sizeable amount of fish for a 55g, I would go very slowly. Maybe switch out a pound or two of CC for sand every week (can't say for sure not knowing what other filtration you have).
There's nothing wrong with having a CC/sand mix as well - it actually works better for some tunnel digging species.

You have a PM. It will be harder to do with that amount of fish in a 55. Water change...water change.

Adding more LR will help make the change easier on the tank.

Sounds good. It will be a easier transition if you get the sump established before you change out the substrate.

Re-use the CC once you've switched out for sand. There absolutly no need for live sand either. Bloody waste of $$ really.

Before you start the process, go to the store (or send your wife/friend) and get some new nylon stockings. Do not use old ones, there will be soap residue in them. Cut them into about 9-12" lengths and knot one end. As you take out the CC, fill the stocking until it's about the size of a softball. Tie the end and set it aside keeping it moist (or submerged). Do this until you have about 5-6 of them. Once all the CC is out. Place the nylon balls in the tank appropriately spaced and being mindful of rock. Keep them unobstructed for easy removal later on. Add your sand, add any rock and your good to go. In about a month you can remove the CC softballs.

Good idea Steve. Do you have some used stockings lying around? :D I told him about the dry sand.

Do you have some used stockings lying around? :D
Only the ones you left behind!!
7.gif
er um....
5.gif

Back