Cheap carbon?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slickdonkey

Drink me
Hey, where do you folks buy your carbon around here? I know you can order 50-pound bags but that's more appropriate for a group-buy.

Slickdonkey said:
Hey, where do you folks buy your carbon around here? I know you can order 50-pound bags but that's more appropriate for a group-buy.
If there is enough interest you may be able to get the club to help out with this to get a group order. Maybe we can bring it in to a meeting and bag it up to take home...no guarantees.

I've read on RC about people using the carbon sold at Walmart. It's packaged by Marineland. Never tried it though.

Slickdonkey, how much are you looking for?

I use Marineland, Black Diamond, and recently a very excellent carbon from aquaticecosystems.com

I only recommend the above three carbon, with a nice rinsing of each one before their use.

Best,
Ilham

I'd be interested to hear about the 50 pound purchase. What brand is that and hey club members who would be interested in that?

Colleen

Ilham, I'm looking for maybe a 5-gallon bucket worth, mostly to save on cost. I'm anticipating going through a lot of this stuff over the next year and the cost adds up over time.

I've seen a couple of threads from other clubs over on RC that have been getting ESV carbon by the 50-pound bag, though the details are unclear.

I'm getting ready to order up some carbon too, so I'd be in for some good quality carbon (I don't like the pelletized stuff).

There are a couple of ways to go about this in my opinion:

• Approach one of our local fish stores and see if they can get a bulk discount for us
  • Go with one of the sponsors here at RF (there are a few that sell 40# or more quantities
  • Approach one of the suppliers directly as a club and see if we can get a deal
People really need to get on the same page though on type and brand

Last edited:
I may be interested in some as well. Also interested in the small particle type....any decent brand would be fine. 5 pounds or so for me as well.

Mat

Ok, well I'll poke around and see what I can find this weekend. If anyone has suggestions on where to start looking for this stuff, I'm all ears.

EDIT - Reed, just saw your comment above. Maybe I'll start by calling some of the LFS's and see if they could arrange this.

Last edited:
I spoke to Andy at SWC and he was unable to locate a supplier at least for the ESV. He wasn't familiar with their carbon and neither am I (Ilham?), but I know at least several clubs posted on RC that they were able to obtain it. I'll keep looking.

So, are there any others that would be interested in a bulk carbon buy? If so, please state how much (in pounds) you'd be interested in. I'm not sure what brand we'll end up with, but if I can get a count of interested parties that's a good starting point.

I think the type depends on availability. Nice to know those guys sell it in bags, Ilham. I'll ask them what the shipping would be on one of those 40-lb bags.

I think I'm going to order a 40-lb bag of the stuff Ilham mentioned above from Aquatic Ecosystems. They're one of the few people I found who sell it in bulk.

The price is about $160 shipped. Anyone who'd like a few dips from the bag, let me know and you can have some for say $4/lb.

Back